FV2 and Casper 9.97

TajChana
New Contributor II

Has any one noticed an issue with 9.97 and FV2 Macs?

My build has been working perfectly but since being upgraded to 9.97 we are having issues with Macs with FV2. When the user tries to log in as the Mac will load the progress bar when the password is entered and then the computer will power off and then sit in the continued loop.

If anyone has any ideas or help it will be much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

CAJensen01
Contributor

I'd have a hard time believing that is related to 9.97, if what you've described is accurate.

FileVault 2 is a Mac functionality, not a JSS one. All the JSS is doing is storing the key, determining whether it should be enabled, etc.

TajChana
New Contributor II

Thats exactly what i thought but its only been there since being upgraded to 9.97.

it will accept the password and load the loading bar until you see the management actions applying the Login hooks and then the mac restarts but will only see this on FV2 enabled macs. The ones without encryption its fine.

CAJensen01
Contributor

Can you disconnect it from the network and login to these machines fine? Do you have any cached policies executing?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@TajChana have you checked to see what policies are in scope for these affected machines? I would pick one machine and see what management actions are waiting and what policies are in scope. The behavior you are describing sounds like an errant policy or something.

Also, how did you turn on FV2 on these machines? Was it done with a Configuration Profile, a Policy, or by hand? And what version of the JSS did you upgrade from? There is an open defect for enabling FV2 via Config Profile that cropped up in 9.93 I believe, and is still open even in 9.97.

TajChana
New Contributor II

Firstly thank you for your replies.

i have tired to enable FV2 with both Configuration Profile and fdesetup in a script.

The only policies that are in scope of these machines are policies that have custom triggers as far as I'm aware but i will double check this..

We are on JAMFCloud and we was automatically upgraded from 9.96 to 9.97.

I will try and take this off the network and then attempt to replicate the issue

Thanks for the input

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Any recent Apple Software updates installed on these Macs that you know of? I'm thinking perhaps a firmware update, either standalone or one of the ones rolled into their OS updates Apple loves to sneak in these days could possibly be causing this.
Like others here, I'm having a hard time believing anything in the Jamf framework could be responsible for this. When a Mac with FV2 is booting up, the jamf tools aren't even loaded until most all the way through the boot cycle. Initially its the OS unlocking the drive and loading the base OS.

I suppose one way you could determine if its related would be to boot one of the affected Macs into Recovery HD, unlock the main boot volume with the user's password or the Recovery key, then use Terminal in Recovery mode to remove some of the Jamf related items on that boot volume, like the jamf binary and the LaunchDaemons that get installed. With those gone, boot the Mac up normally and see if it gets through the boot cycle without powering down.
Again, I'd be very surprised if the above showed that the Mac will now boot normally. I can't imagine what would be happening from the Jamf framework that would cause them to shut down.

TajChana
New Contributor II

Just got confirmation from JAMF that this is a Product issue with 9.97 - PI-003367

The installer has been pulled so if you have it downloaded you may want to hold back until its resolved.