Free App VPP Deployment

roethelbc
New Contributor III

Hello all,

As many know, the existing RDP app for macOS does not work with Windows 10. We want to switch everyone to the Remote app that is in the App Store. Since this is a free app would we be able to deploy and manage it via VPP? When I am creating the Mac Store App policy it allows us to assign VPP content to 10.11 and 10.12. It shows that we have 100 available to use. I am just not sure if we would have to ask Apple for VPP codes for a free application.

Best.

5 REPLIES 5

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

"Purchasing" free apps is the same process as purchasing paid apps. Add them to your cart at the VPP website, [vpp.itunes.apple.com](vpp.itunes.apple.com).

strider_knh
Contributor II

What is free today may not be free tomorrow. I always keep this in mind when purchasing apps as to why I have to purchase free apps.

jcbousfield
New Contributor

Sadly there is no Microsoft RDP in the VPP Store available to purchase. The best thing you can do for this app is to download the New Beta - Available from Microsoft. This is installed by a .pkg and can be distributed much easier.

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

@jcbousfield Microsoft's RDP is available in VPP store.

https://vpp.itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id715768417?mt=12&term=Microsoft&l=en&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

@jcbousfield Do you have an issue getting the RDP app in the VPP store? I see it come up when you search for it.