Outlook 2016 - First Day of the Week set with script

dpratl
Contributor II

Hi jamf friends :) - welcome in the year 2017

We are having the problem that Outlook's standard setting for First day of the week is Sunday.
We would need to change this setting to Monday, but I can't find a Applescript option for this and even a snapshot with the composer does not help (I thought it should be stored in the com.microsoft.outlook.plist but it isn't or at least I can't find it).
In the windows registry this option is called FirstDOW.

Does anyone already solved that problem?

Thank you all.
BR
Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

talkingmoose

I took a look at Outlook's AppleScript dictionary and searched for "first", "day" and "week", but none of the results are what you need. This doesn't appear to be scriptable. Also, Microsoft has said it's no longer planning to pursue updating Outlook's AppleScript dictionary. It is effectively on maintenance mode, which means this feature won't be coming.

You could possibly take advantage of AppleScript's ability to use System Events to control keyboard shortcuts, button clicks, etc., but as of macOS 10.12, Apple requires a human enable this setting. You can't turn it on programmatically using a script.

My suggestion would be to let users figure out how to set the first day of the week themselves, provide them instructions upfront when they receive their Macs or handle this with help desk tickets.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

talkingmoose

I took a look at Outlook's AppleScript dictionary and searched for "first", "day" and "week", but none of the results are what you need. This doesn't appear to be scriptable. Also, Microsoft has said it's no longer planning to pursue updating Outlook's AppleScript dictionary. It is effectively on maintenance mode, which means this feature won't be coming.

You could possibly take advantage of AppleScript's ability to use System Events to control keyboard shortcuts, button clicks, etc., but as of macOS 10.12, Apple requires a human enable this setting. You can't turn it on programmatically using a script.

My suggestion would be to let users figure out how to set the first day of the week themselves, provide them instructions upfront when they receive their Macs or handle this with help desk tickets.

dpratl
Contributor II

Thank you @talkingmoose, that was also what I did before.
So I'm not blind, it just seems to be not possible.

I will do what you suggest that the users will get a briefing how to change that setting ion their own.

BR
Daniel