AppleID for DEP/VPP and 2-Step Verification w/Trusted Devices

etippett
Contributor II

The AppleID that we setup for DEP and VPP was required to have 2-Step Verification configured on it. This requires either an SMS capable device or a "trusted device" (any device logged in with that AppleID with Find My Device configured) to receive a code anytime you sign in with that AppleID. Has anyone been able to get the "trusted device" route to work? We have no company-owned SMS capable devices and I'd really prefer not to use my personal cell phone. Anytime I try to sign in to iCloud from iOS or Mac OS with this AppleID, though, it fails. Trying to sign in to iCloud.com indicates that this account can't be used for iCloud. Is this some sort of limitation with DEP/VPP accounts, kind of like how they can't also be used for regular iTunes/App Store login?

Thanks,
Eric

2 REPLIES 2

joecurrin
New Contributor III

For DEP/VPP accounts they are provisioned differently and can not access any other service other than DEP or VPP. The only way that I know is SMS.

etippett
Contributor II

Sigh... That's what I was afraid of. How annoying. Kind of like how I was just told that for "security reasons" an AppleID must have a "person's name" in order to be given purchaser access in the educational Apple Store. How is security increased by me adding a fake name to an AppleID based off a shared email address? Ridiculous rules....

End rant. Thanks for the verification, @joecurrin !