Adding a logo to notifications

rpayne
Contributor II

I think I've known before, but have since forgotten how. How do I add a logo to the notifications for policies. Any help would be awesome.

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Which notifications are you talking about? The Notification Center notices that are part of the built in functionality of Jamf Pro?

rpayne
Contributor II

The banners that pop up as a result of data placed in the "user interaction" section of a policy

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

The logo that appears in the Notification Center bubble is from the Management Action app (/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/Management Action.app). You'd have to change the icon for that app, then deploy it to all machines to use whatever icon you want. Kind of like branding and deploying a customized Self Service.

jonconn
New Contributor III

Did you want to change it to be the same for every notification, or on a "per notification" basis?

pcrandom
Contributor

If you have a policy that allows deferrals, the Management Action window that allows users to select the deferral time (or to install right away) has space for an icon. I noticed a while back that one of my policies was showing an icon for a different application than it was installing and couldn't figure out where it came from, until I toggled on Self Service and saw the incorrect icon there.

So, if you have a policy that you don't actually want to offer in Self Service but that you do want an icon or logo to show up in the Management Action window, turn on Self Service in the policy, set the icon you want in Self Service, and then turn off Self Service.

rpayne
Contributor II

@jonconn I'd want them all to be the same

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@rpayne If you want all your messages to have the same logo, I would suggest looking at using another custom utility for your messaging that you can customize how you want. For example, look at tools like Yo, or the older and not quite as well supported terminal-notifier. And actually, you can sort of get there with basic Applescript commands, though not sure how well those end up working when run from a regular Jamf Pro policy. I have a feeling not too well on current OS versions. And I don't think its as easy to customize the icon it appears with in that case.

The other option would be to change the Management Action.app utility's icon yourself as outlined by @emily above. You would just need to make sure to have some kind of policy to either deploy your modified version, or script the change to each machine, and it would need to be ongoing, probably based around a Smart Group based on an Extension Attribute value, so as to catch any re-imaged machines and new systems coming online. You may find this latter option more work than its worth it for though.