Uninstalling Previous Versions of Adobe using CCP Uninstaller?

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I am testing and working on putting together an uninstaller for our previous versions of Adobe CC. We currently have CC 2017 installed, but there are a some instances, the old versions of the applications are still around in the applications folder.

As you may know, Adobe's creative cloud packager now allows you to build an uninstaller. Is there an easy way for this to be deployed via JAMF Pro? How are others removing the older versions of the software? Just curious what others are doing before I go down a path that bites me later. If you have a script that is working, would you mind sharing?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@mconners I am going through that exercise myself. We are in the process of going from CC 2014 as our mainstay to CC 2015.2. We have some CS 6 out there as well, as one of our clients refuses to upgrade. I created the uninstall script via CCP, packaged the script and the XML file up in a PKG file using Packages with a postimage script that simply calls the script: /tmp/AdobeCCUninstaller. I have that PKG added to Casper with a priority of 9 so that it will run before any of my installers.

I have tested several times with removing just CC 2014 on a machine that has both CC 2014 and CS 6, and every time it removes only the CC 2014 components and I'm still able to run CS 6.

The deployment will be to cache CC 2015.2 to the machines, and then with a separate policy run the uninstaller PKG and then Install from Cached the CC 2015.2 components. So far in testing it has worked flawlessly.

mconners
Valued Contributor

Thank you @stevewood this is helpful. I have heard mixed things about it so it is nice to see someone having success thus far. I will keep experimenting as well as this was the path I started down a bit ago. I just wanted to make sure others were seeing success before I went to far down the rabbit hole. Thanks Steve!

May
Contributor III

@mconners

There's some good info over here

I'm using the Adobe CCP uninstaller in a pkg with a postinstall script to stop all Adobe processes before hand
(so i can do the upgrade straight after without a restart)