Is the Model Number Stored anywhere on the system.

dpodgors
Contributor

I know I can get the model identifier but my service desk is asking for the "Model Number". Something that looks like this: MLH42LL/A.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

millersc
Valued Contributor

That's an Apple Order Number. Nothing like that inside the computer itself. Best thing is cross reference something like MacTracker with the Model Identifier and Model Number.

View solution in original post

dpodgors
Contributor

Again - I was just asking if it was possible. I'm not trying to debate the logicality of what another department was asking me for.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

millersc
Valued Contributor

That's an Apple Order Number. Nothing like that inside the computer itself. Best thing is cross reference something like MacTracker with the Model Identifier and Model Number.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@millersc beat me to it. That's an order number and its most definitely not on the system anywhere to pull it from. I also recommend cross referencing with MacTracker. That seems to be the most definitive source for those order numbers, other than maybe Apple directly.

dpodgors
Contributor

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

I don't know if I 100% agree that is an order number, I would call that more a part number. Apple actually does provide a cheat sheet for laptops here, however I haven't seen one for desktops. I remember long long ago in a job far far away, when the serial number naming scheme was re-defined by apple, they did publish an article that would explain the new naming pattern, but the last 4 digits of your serial number should also be a unique model identifier as well.

msnowdon
Contributor

If you have an account with Apple's DEP, you could look up order numbers.

http://deploy.apple.com

dpodgors
Contributor

We do but that doesn't help with it being on the Mac. I was hoping it was stored somewhere on the mac but that doesn't seem to be the case. I could build a table to match up our serial numbers and all but that then requires maintenance. Again just looking to see if there was something and it looks there isn't.
Thanks

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@dpodgors are you looking for this type of identifier: "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)" or the order number you referenced earlier?

If you want the type that I sent, you can use the MacModelShelf script that Per Olofsson wrote:

MacModelShelf

I use it as an EA on our systems and it works great.

dpodgors
Contributor

Thanks but i need the model number I have many other ways to get the "Model Identifier".

mm2270

At one time I would have suggested looking into www.everymac.com, as they have a lookup page (using the Serial Number) to pull up Mac specs, including that order number. But they are using a Captcha on that page now to prevent robots, so there isn't a good way to automate it using curl it seems.
I seem to recall they have a downloadable database or file of some kind they maintain that has all the same information in it as the site, but I can't locate that at the moment.

Edit: EveryMac does offer an API for doing lookups, but its not free. More info here: https://www.everymac.com/api/register

If it were me, I'd go back to the Service Desk and ask what it is they need that number for. Hardly anyone pays attention to that number. Its an internal Apple identifier for the most part. I'm curious why its relevant to them. Maybe they think its something that its not?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

To echo @mm2270 if you are ordering custom built machines, that model number is different anyway. At least every machine I've purchased has not had that model number anywhere on the box.

dpodgors
Contributor

The model number is just a granular way to identify the CPU, amount of RAM and hard drive size (among other things). They thought, if it was available, it would help in identification.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@dpodgors you can grab all of that info out of the JSS with an API call. Why not go that way? And like I said, if you order Build To Order machines, the model number is typically a very generic number, like Z20 or something like that.

mm2270

As @stevewood says, all that stuff - CPU type and speed, cache, memory, HDD/SSD size, etc - is all already captured. Why use a cryptic order number to try to decipher that instead of just using the info already captured by your management product? Maybe I'm just missing something, but it seems they are going at this the wrong way to me.

dpodgors
Contributor

Again - I was just asking if it was possible. I'm not trying to debate the logicality of what another department was asking me for.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

If you have a box lying around, apple does put the model on them. Every apple box should have it, actually (iPhone, iPad, anything with an apple logo on it should have one). Standard order items usually end (or at least used to) in the ll/a designation.

c1c7d59682b446f081edb3757a3529fa
78fff4d0d05e48fe9316b07412b95c65