DeployStudio 1.7.6 - can't netboot anything now!!

nikgio
New Contributor III

Ok, so netboot was working perfectly fine on our 10.7.5 server. DeployStudio was on v1.6.x (don't remember which exact build...). Sometime last year we got in some iMac Late 2015s and they would not boot, even after creating a new NBI with it. So we updated DS to 1.7.5 and it broke all our old netboot images. For whatever reason, creating new NBIs even with our older hardware (e.g. we have many MBP Mid-2012s) was not successful, so for the time being we rolled DS back to 1.6 and just manually installed the few new computers we got in.

Now we're getting more new stuff in - MBP Late 2016s, plus the iMacs from before - and we really need to get our imaging up and running. I'm in the same boat I was when I tried a few months ago - I'm back up to DS 1.7.6, and any new NBIs (both old and new HW) I create through the DeployStudio Assistant show as an option in Startup Disk or when you hold down the option key, but when selected it flashes back and forth between the globe and the blinking question mark folder. Same when you hold down N. The old NBIs still boot as they should, but then you get the message that they're not compatible with the DS version on the server.

DHCP is set up on a different server, maintained by our network admin. Nothing's changed on that side - like I said, the old images still boot. It's configured to work fine across subnets too - we did that years ago and haven't had an issue since.

Last week I was able to create a DS bootable USB flash drive that works on an individual machine and points to the server. It works on the old hardware and the new iMacs, but I really need the multicast option again. That and these new MBPs are USB-C only and the flash drive is useless (thanks a lot, Apple). We ordered ethernet adapters for them so that we can image once netboot is functional again.

I've searched and haven't found anyone else online who's had these issues with the newer version of DeployStudio. I've tried creating the NBIs from OS X 10.11 and 10.12 to no avail. Nothing changed on our server... supposedly DS 1.7.6 is still compatible with server 10.7.5.

Oh, I also tried creating a 10.12 image with AutoCasperNBI with similar results. I just want something to work!! Even if there's a file that I can copy over from the old working image to a new one, whatever will make these computers boot again.

6 REPLIES 6

nikgio
New Contributor III

itupshot
Contributor II

@nikki Hi there. Try this: In Server Admin (or Server app), make sure that the "NetBootSP0" folder is shared via SMB protocol.

As far as the original NBI's saying they're not compatible, when you installed the new version of DS, it should've offered to update the runtime in them. It usually says that if it finds them in the server.

I haven't used DS in a few years, so I can't remember if you can update those NBI's manually. I think if you run the setup assistant again to "set up" the server, but not really change anything, it should find those NBI's if they are in the default location, and ask if you want to update them.

If you don't have it handy, the documentation is at: DeployStudio Guide 2.0

cindySingh
New Contributor III

Hi @nikki which OS did you use for creating NBI?
Is it possible to try with latest Hardware with 10.12?

Thanks,
CS

Didier
New Contributor

Hello @Nikki,

I also have a Netboot problem since testing with the new MBP with USB-C connector. Our server is 10.7.5 and Deploystudio is 1.7.6.

I can netbooter on the old models but I have not tried to restore on all our models.

My problem is on the restoration on the new MBP with USB-C with an image created with the latest MBP 15 'model.

At the end of the restoration, he asks me a Sierra update in 10.12.3 that I already have in my image and it asks for an internet connection. It 's hell the machine runs in a loop, sometimes it works. This is random and I can not deliver this solution to support teams, I'm stuck for now.

It is the same phenomenon when you restore on the site of Apple (Option Command R) and in the end it asks you an Update, you take your Wifi and the machine restarts after normal and that our Netboot turns endlessly.

I'm still testing

msample
Contributor II

@nikki @cindySingh

Hi Nikki, I'm just reading through your post here. We're you successful getting DS to netbook under OS 10.12. w/ DS v1.7.6?

seann
Contributor

Some tips - use console with the filter 'bootp' to see if netboot requests are getting through.

Note that bootp and dhcp look the same to a switch so you may need to speak with your network guys to ensure that the broadcasts aren't being discarded.

Also ensure that permissions are set properly on the nbi and files within