USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey there, all! I have some new MacBook Pro devices with the new USB-C inputs. My organization has decided to deploy the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter with this new fleet. Users are being prompted to install an update associated with this adapter. Simply running the update and restarting did not appear to properly install software. After doing some digging, I was able to find Apple's quick documentation on this here. Not surprisingly, this worked like a charm!

My question to you all is this: is anyone out there using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and hasn't had to perform this update? I am asking because our provisioning process (via Casper Imaging) involves erasing the hard drive and then block copying macOS Sierra 10.12.3. I am wondering if the update is installed with the out-of-the-box image. Can anyone confirm this theory?

b8b25a7d88424c2f8d24f0b5c8a600dd

11 REPLIES 11

ndelgrande
New Contributor

I have been testing a couple multi-port adapters. The Trip Lite USB-C to HDMI/GigE/USB-A 3.1/USB-C Power passthrough. No additional kexts or software needed. I am also testing a slightly more expensive AVOTCH adapter that has the same as the Trip Lite just add another USB-A 3.1 port and 2 card reading slots. Plus it's a bit more premium feeling and matches the MacBook Pro's finish.

They just worked out of the box. I do not know what Apple is doing with their adapters that they are updating firmware on them. Giving users an all-in-one adapter is the way to go so they don't lose a bunch of single use dongles IMO.

B-35405
Contributor

Yes, I was having that issue also. I was plugging in two adapters at once and installing the update. After a reboot, the update popped up again. So I ran the update again... Still, every time I installed the update, I'd get prompted again to install after a reboot. I was able to fix the issue by using only one adapter at once, install the update, reboot. That fixed the problem, after that, I was able to use as many adapters as needed w/o getting that update promoted again.

B-35405
Contributor

B-35405
Contributor

Yes, I was having that issue also. I was plugging in two adapters at once and installing the update. After a reboot, the update popped up again. So I ran the update again... Still, every time I installed the update, I'd get prompted again to install after a reboot. I was able to fix the issue by using only one adapter at once, install the update, reboot. That fixed the problem, after that, I was able to use as many adapters as needed w/o getting that update promoted again.

B-35405
Contributor

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Have anyone found a way to deploy this? I found this link that talks about how to download the package, but when I run it through casper, through the GUI, or through the command line it errors out saying it doesn't apply to this OS (10.12.3).

jimmy-swings
Contributor II

Hi @jwojda @sepiemoini Have you managed to package and deploy this update? I've got a 600 non-admin user estate and 600 of these little things. When are user plugs one of these things into their machine, they are presented with a dialog that ends up requested admin credentials which the user doesn't have...
Thanks for any help, James.

cdev
Contributor III

At least on our 10.12 machines, the updater package seems to be pre-downloaded as either part of the OS or an automatic download triggered by connecting the adapter to the machine. We've got a Self Service policy enabled that runs the .pkg installer that's stored by the OS for (re)use:

installer -pkg "/System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates/USB-C Multiport Adapter/adapterupdate1.pkg" -target /

jimmy-swings
Contributor II

Awesome! Let me have a look for the package on an unmanaged device and see what luck I have rolling it out.

zachary_fisher
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone, I try to install this, however, it tells me my system isn't supported? I have tried manually installing using the above command as well. Any ideas?

ccampion
New Contributor

We provided one of these adapters for each faculty member who received a new macbook pro. We have had a lot of inconsistency when trying to connect the Epson projectors in the classrooms. I cannot narrow the issue down. The HDMI cables are brand new(Kramer or Kanex). We've tried the SMC/NVRAM re-set with mixed results. I'd appreciate any thoughts. There are too many variables.

thanks

Carl Campion