Two partitions, one recovery volume & 10.12?

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

For our primary image we have the primary partition and we create a second partition as a custom restore partition (OS + some basic apps for emergency use). In 10.11 when we'd image a machine we'd get one Recovery partition as well, which was good. But in testing with 10.12 it looks like I'm getting two Recovery partitions.

I've created the OS install using autodmg, like I did with previous OS versions, and the resulting disk image is being used for both partition, like with previous OS version.

I'm not really sure how/why I only got one recovery partition in previous builds, but I didn't question it since it was the result we wanted.

For the time being I'm thinking of removing the recovery partition from the autodmg disk image, and instead using an installer to add a recovery partition separately. But not if I'm just missing something.

Any suggestions? If it's 10.12 then I'm working on a workaround. If it's maybe something with autodmg, then I'll head to #autodmg at MacAdmins on Slack. If it's user error, I'll go get my dunce cap and sit in the corner.

2 REPLIES 2

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@cwaldrip if you're encrypting your computers, not sure you'll want to remove the Recovery HD partition.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

Yeah, we're encrypting at least the primary boot partition. And we want to have a Recovery partition. We just don't want TWO recovery partitions, which is what we're getting - one from each OS install on each partition.

What my workaround will probably end up being is removing the recovery partition from the OS install (created by autodmg), and then add it back individually with a separate install to recreate the recovery partition. Just odd that this came up in my testing 10.12 and not before.