Firefox ESR vs Mainline Deployment

SeanRussell
New Contributor II

Hello all!

Just starting using JAMF on our systems as an assessment, so bear with me.

In our environment we have machines with both FF ESR, and FF main.

I want to create a smartgroup to push out updates to each. I've found that there are two pre-configured patching groups that I can turn to smart groups. Mozilla Firefox (this includes both versions, and sometimes says "unknown" for the version name if the machine has ESR) and the Mozilla Firefox Exclude ESR.

So obviously, I can create a smartgroup that pushes the mainline version to the Exclude ESR group, and that works great.

However, I can't figure out how to create a smartgroup that is ONLY for ESR. Anyone run into this? Or have an idea? Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

shawn_eberle
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey @MagmaMan Great question, we are actually in the process of splitting up these two Software Definitions to help meet these needs. The timeframe is not exact yet but we see should these these changes in the next couple of weeks.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Create an extension attribute to pull the channel info from your Firefox.app bundle. Someone else came up with this, but can't remember who.

echo "<result>`awk -F "\"" '/app.update.channel/ {print $(NF-1)}' /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js`</result>"

Then it's just a matter of creating a smart group that looks for esr or release.

SeanRussell
New Contributor II

Awesome, that is a great news on the split! Thanks Shawn!

cbrewer, thanks for the attribute, I will use that until they release the patch group.