Block "notification" of macOS Sierra

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hi Folks,

Please forgive me as this is probably a duplicate discussion. We have all seen the "notification" from Apple about the Sierra update. We have successfully blocked the installation of Sierra, but is there a way to remove the notification altogether?

We are getting a lot of blow back from folks after making updates over our winter break. While I tend to be a great communicator with folks, there are only so many apologies I can make before people start getting more and more frustrated.

Seriously Apple, you need to work with us Mac Sys Admin folks before making the decisions you make.

Thank you Everyone for your input and guidance...

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Don't bother asking Apple to make any changes around this. Promoting their new OS version to all Macs, regardless of managed vs personally owned has been a practice of theirs for several years now, and I don't see it changing, because they don't really care.

That said, similar threads came up when El Capitan dropped and some of us were looking at how to stop these annoying intrusive messages from Apple. Take a look at this thread for some possible solutions that may also work with Sierra: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/17615/turn-off-el-capitan-notification

mconners
Valued Contributor

Thank you @mm2270 for the quick reply. I know this has been an issue for a while now. This will help me go down the right path. This single issue wouldn't normally be a "biggie" for me to solve. Considering this is part a variety of strangeness surrounding their computers, this is like frosting on the cake for them. Thank you...