Target Imaging failing creating first run script

cgheesling
New Contributor

Hello, I'm new to Jamf and have been testing various forms of imaging a brand new iMac using target imaging and imaging from a local external drive with casper installed. I get through the imaging process and get to the first run script creation and get this error.

An exception of class UnsupportedFormatException was not handled. The application must shut down.
Exception Message: The path passed into new FolderItem was invalid

This has happened both from a target image from an iMac and from imaging from the local drive.

I am trying to bind to our active directory, set name, and create a local admin account as well as updating inventory.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

Jasonjia
New Contributor

@cgheesling , Hi there, have you got any solution for this, I am having the same problem now, it will be great that you can share what you have found out. Thanks in advanced.

EUC600
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue as well. Did anyone find a resolution to it?

mjames
Contributor

I am getting this now too - but only with one of our configurations - the others are all fine.

mjames
Contributor

I just played with this some - the configuration that was failing was a compiled config.

I created a new uncompiled config and copied the packages and DMG's from the config that was throwing the error into it - and it works fine.

I am going to re-compile it when I get a chance and see how that goes.

sardesm
New Contributor III

Anywhere on this, getting the same error when imaging in the same place, seems random as to what machine it will happen on and the image is not compiled.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I just got this error when imaging from Casper Imaging::

"An exception of class UnsupportedFormatException was not handled. The application must shut down. Exception Message: The path passed into new FolderItem was invalid."

JSS 9.99
2017 MacBook Pro 13" (sans TouchBar) shipped with 10.13 High Sierrra
NetBoot server running 10.13.3

No erasing drive or altering of APFS SSD - just pushing my packages/scripts/AD on top of the existing Apple base.

I have been ('thin') imaging 10.13.3 MacBooks a lot - 2 or 3 a day - and had no issues. In fact, I deployed (3) new 2017 laptops today - prior to this error.

Rebooted target Mac = No change. Will bounced JSS = No change.
NetBoot server = No change.

The one thing that changed recently that might be the culprit - I renamed some of my uncompiled Configurations (no illegal characters). I reverted the configuration names and tried again - still no worky.

As a final test I tried an older Jamf/Casper Imaging Configuration (a 10.12.6-based configuration that doesn't get used much these days). It worked fine. MacBook was imaged and deployed OK (and subsequently upgraded to 10.13.3 in-place manually).

nikgio
New Contributor III

Also interested in an answer to this...