Do I need to run Recon again if I rename/unbind a Mac?

jrauch
New Contributor III

We name our student 1:1 Macbooks with their username. Let's say that student leaves and I want to give his laptop to another incoming student. I go in, change the binding name and sharing name. Do I need to run Recon again on this machine to update the info? Would it be better to remove the computer in JSS, rename the computer, then Recon? Not sure what the best method would be.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nomeelnoj
New Contributor III

If you delete the machine from the JSS and add it back you will also lose all management and log history for that box, so I would recommend against that.

If you are saying that you want the name in the JSS to match the name you have configured on the macbook, running recon should do it. Or, you can wait until the machine reports back on its daily inventory update, which should update the JSS as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

nomeelnoj
New Contributor III

If you delete the machine from the JSS and add it back you will also lose all management and log history for that box, so I would recommend against that.

If you are saying that you want the name in the JSS to match the name you have configured on the macbook, running recon should do it. Or, you can wait until the machine reports back on its daily inventory update, which should update the JSS as well.

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

It will recon itself next time it checks in for inventory.

msemertzides
New Contributor II

There may be times when a recon won't work, and you might have to remove the entry from the JSS, and then re-enroll it. This should be considered 'the nuclear option' though.