Migration Assistant- Sierra to Sierra, Bad Permissions, and downhill from there....

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi All,
not jamf related
I am migrating a user from Sierra 10.12.3 to same OS using Migration Assistant. After migration, permissions in the ~/Library are a mess. Cannot repair using ACL repair in Recovery Partition (gone) cannot repair using "Get Info" propagate...no worky..... does not help to disable CIP. Probably some chown command but cannot seem to find Sierra info for that either....
Migrated again to make sure it wasn't a glitch. same result...
Decided to migrate selectively, the "Old fashioned way" by Target Disk Mode. Deleted the blown up AD Mobile profile from the New computer, and now cannot create a new AD Profile, within which I would dump the files.....Spins for awhile then super helpful generic "Cannot log in because an error occurred"
Bind is good (I can log in) Credentials are good (They work on my own computer)
I used to know how to get these hidden remnants out using dscl, but too long ago, cannot find command. Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

UPDATE:
Today:
Unbound restart
Rebound restart
works now

guess it needed a long weekend to reconsider its behavior

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Look
Valued Contributor III

From memory... Where USERNAME is the person you want to delete.
sudo dscl . delete /Users/USERNAME

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for the response @Look I enter dscl>

do an LS and then cd to Local/Default/Users and do an ls, the list does not show this particular user.

The AD account is good
The Bind is good
The AD User has been created during login, and then deleted using System Preferences>Users & Groups, including removing/deleting the Home directory.
Then, cannot log in as that user
What else is left behind?

rlincoln
New Contributor

I was taught long ago never to use migration assistant in an enterprise environment, especially if AD is present!! I always do an rsync. Even now where I am we don't have AD we have local accounts I still tell my techs to do an rsync.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

@rlincoln....
We used Migration Assistant in El Cap and it worked perfectly about 99% of the time x 550+ staff computers.
No issues except when the original computer brought existing issues along.
Water under the bridge anyway.
Now in Sierra, may need to rethink, but all of that is really beside the point of the problem, since now I am attempting a manual migration, but cannot create the profile.

rlincoln
New Contributor

if I ever use MA I will only do it to the same OS. I have also seen instances where the UID changes for whatever reason

and I only bring over desktop, documents and downloads to eliminate any problems that migrate over. I will do personal data to a external HD only. Sorry if this is off the question a bit ;)

Rick

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

UPDATE:
Today:
Unbound restart
Rebound restart
works now

guess it needed a long weekend to reconsider its behavior