Friday.. Strangest thing I've encontered in a while.. Quiz time..

kerouak
Valued Contributor

So, 27" iMAc bound to AD.
Can login to Domain fine.
Can connect to AFP / SMB shares fine.
When attempting to connect to home share on NAS, Authentication fails.
Re built Mac from scratch, Same issue.
Logged in as myself (domain Admin) and I can't connect to my share either.
Works fine on other Macs....
I'm at a loss, can only be a HW issue, but why..... FLUMMOXED!!!
Anyone? :-)

3 REPLIES 3

eclemens
New Contributor II

Long shot: did you try "zapping the Parameter RAM"? [command-option-p-r held down on startup] Some network issues seem to go away

mthakur
Contributor

@kerouak This is likely a network control gone awry, i.e. the problem may not be on the endpoint.

Some things to check:

• Check the logs on the NAS. Compare the log entries for a Mac that succeeds with the iMac that's failing. If anything, this will be the best source of clues as to what's really going on.
• Check the controls on the NAS. Does it limit access by building, department, network segment?
• Unplug the network cable from the iMac and plug the same cable to another Mac (e.g. a laptop), configured the same. Does the second Mac, when connected via the iMac's network cable, also fail to connect to the NAS?
• Conversely, if possible, try physically moving the iMac closer to another Mac that is working — and swap their network cables. Does the iMac still fail to connect to the NAS?
• Check Active Directory for conflicting, obsolete, or duplicate computer objects for this host. (You're a domain admin, so you've likely done this already - worth a second look, though.)
• Check with your security group and networking group. Are their network controls (firewalls, routers, NAC, etc) blocking this Mac from accessing the NAS?
• Check your iMac endpoint for any security or network agents that are required by your network but are not installed or failing on the iMac

Etc — you get the idea. If you can eliminate the endpoint as a source of the problem, then the problem is likely to lay elsewhere in the network.

Good luck! Please report back and let us know what the problem was.

Look
Valued Contributor III

Is the Mac managed and how old is the NAS?
If the NAS only supports SMB1 you might find your security team has disabled SMB 1 on the clients in response to the recent security vulnerabilities that were flagged in it.
If you have a /etc/nsmb.conf or ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf files then this has probably been done, of course given that this was done for security reasons it might not be something you want to reverse.