Apple Service Toolkit 1.5.20 system requirements

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I think I broke my old AST server a few months back and looking to rebuild it. I have the installer files from GSX but can't find what the system requirements are, not sure if it will run on 10.11 and 10.12?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TomDay

@gshackney Got this up and running finally! Thx for your help. I contacted my Apple SE who put me in touch with AST Support. Who even knew this existed?! The email to address them at is ast_support@apple.com . Support was very helpful, sent me a utility to run that assessed the server which produced log files that I had to send to them. He found some authentication issues in the log file and we had to reset the AST keychain. To do this, perform the following steps:

Quit gateway manager
Go to /Library/Preferences/ and remove com.apple.gatewaymanager.plist
Go to /System/Library/Keychains/ and remove the AppleServiceToolkit.keychain file
Reboot the server
Start Gateway Manager again

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I can confirm it runs on 10.11 as that is where we have it now...unsure about 10.12.x...I would recommend reading on GSX for the latest info.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I've been running it on 10.12. for quite some time without issue.

AST is always a hit or miss experience though, but their support email team is getting much faster at answering questions.
Just remember it doesn't work over vlans, it requires separate ast servers on each specific network in your organization.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Was painfully aware it would not work on virtual Nics... I didn't realize it did not work over separate sub nets. We have netboot in general working across separate subnets, but haven't tried AST over separate subnets.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Netboot works yes...and AST looks like it works...but none of the diagnostic logs can get back to Apple unless you are on the same vlan with both the computer and the ast netboot server. Its quite a pain in the ass...
We played with IP helpers and dns pointers but AST just isn't made for that. So I'm now in the process of putting a mac mini in each building that just does netboot/ast/Jamf distribution point. (Raiding 2x 2TB ssds in each Mac mini).

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

That wouldn't even work...our average building has 3-4 subnets...very disheartened to hear this.

TomDay

Got this back up, upgraded to 1.5.20 and it's running :-) Next issue is when trying to authenticate the Apple ID in the Gateway Manager, it takes about 5 minutes and then fails with the big red dialog box "ADR Server Not Available. The password is 100% correct, but the account I am using this with for GSX has 2 step authentication enabled on it, figuring that might be the issue. You Guys seen this? Thanks for your input so far @gshackney @blackholemac

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Could mean a few things. However 2 step authentication doesn't play into it. Just be sure logging into the the GSX website doesn't prompt you to reset your password. They make you change your password something like each 3 months and then it just gives the error you describe. Another thing you may want to look at is just rebooting the server with ast on it. Sometimes this seems to fix issues, along with resintalling just the newest ast installer.

Make sure your account numbers are entered correctly as well. If you have leading zeros, you must enter those in as well.

Hope that helps...I know support for GSX tends to not exist.
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

TomDay

@gshackney Good to know 2 step isn't a factor. I am 100% sure the password is OK, verified by logging int to GSX directly. AST server rebooted, no change, and no change with reinstalling with the latest installer. Account number is correct and has the leading zeros.

The GSX documentation and support is brutal for sure, I think my next step might be to reach out to my ASE.

TomDay

@gshackney Got this up and running finally! Thx for your help. I contacted my Apple SE who put me in touch with AST Support. Who even knew this existed?! The email to address them at is ast_support@apple.com . Support was very helpful, sent me a utility to run that assessed the server which produced log files that I had to send to them. He found some authentication issues in the log file and we had to reset the AST keychain. To do this, perform the following steps:

Quit gateway manager
Go to /Library/Preferences/ and remove com.apple.gatewaymanager.plist
Go to /System/Library/Keychains/ and remove the AppleServiceToolkit.keychain file
Reboot the server
Start Gateway Manager again

rhooper
Contributor III

Hey all,
We have similar issues, I think.
AST booted and Authenticated.
MRI runs on Early 2015 devices, but not on Early 2012 devices.
TP and Keyboard mapper, Trackpad test, keyboard test, heck all the tests do not run on any devices.
It asks me what Language, then "Agree" then sits there with trying to contact Apple.
AST support says all looks good in the logs and SW. They said do we use VLANS, why yes three! One for data, one for Security and one for Phones (basically data)... they said that is the issue.. I need to do away with the VLANs.... Um yeah aint gonna happen.
This entire setup worked in the Spring of 2018, but not now in the Fall of 2018.... I did perform the latest updates to the AST and the MacOSX and Server build versions.

Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated.