Wallpaper change via Configuration Profile not working (sort of)

pwinfield
New Contributor II

I'm trying to change the wallpaper via the Configuration Profile. I set the Level to Computer Level, and the Restriction Payload is configured so that the Functionality tab has the "Desktop picture path" set to "/Library/Desktop Pictures/beach.jpg".

Although the Configuration Profile runs, the wallpaper is not applied (tried logging off, restarting etc).

However, if I place the wallpaper somewhere else (ie. if the wallpaper is set to /Users/Shared/beach.jpg), it applies the wallpaper as expected immediately the profile is executed.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pwinfield
New Contributor II

OK, I decided to go back to basics and surprisingly I found what works. Ready for this........

YOU DON'T NEED TO CATER FOR A SPACE IN THE PATH !

I changed the path to read : /Library/Desktop Pictures/Beach.jpg - no quotes, no backslashes and it works! Go figure!

It seems that this Desktop Picture path field takes the quotes literally as part of the path name (unlike everything else where you have to cater for the space).

Thanks everyone.

ps. i'm using v9.93

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

bcourtade
New Contributor III

The space might be throwing things off. Try "Library/Desktop Pictures/beach.jpg"

khey
Contributor

more of the permission of the file. please check if everyone has read access to /Library/Desktop Pictures/beach.jpg

pwinfield
New Contributor II

Thanks for replies. Just to update this thread. I checked the permissions and all was ok from that end (as expected).

I have narrowed it down to the "space" contained in the folder "Desktop Pictures". To confirm this, I renamed "Desktop Pictures" to "DesktopPictures" (ie. removed the space). Editted & resent the config Profile and it applied OK.

So far I have tried inputting the path as :

"/Library/Desktop Pictures/Beach.jpg"
"/Library/Desktop Pictures/Beach.jpg"
/Library/Desktop Pictures/Beach.jpg

None of which work.

pwinfield
New Contributor II

OK, I decided to go back to basics and surprisingly I found what works. Ready for this........

YOU DON'T NEED TO CATER FOR A SPACE IN THE PATH !

I changed the path to read : /Library/Desktop Pictures/Beach.jpg - no quotes, no backslashes and it works! Go figure!

It seems that this Desktop Picture path field takes the quotes literally as part of the path name (unlike everything else where you have to cater for the space).

Thanks everyone.

ps. i'm using v9.93

pwinfield
New Contributor II

kerouak
Valued Contributor

Methinks your judgement was being clouded by the "inferior operating system" rules....

A simple space will do
:-)