Unbind and Rebind with Mobile Accounts

bruth85
New Contributor III

I have a user who is on 10.11 who is bound to AD and using a Mobile Profile and needs to change her password. When she tries she receives and error stating "The Password for account "XXXXX" was not changed. The server is not available. Change your password when the server becomes available. She is connected directly to the lan via hard wire so I know she should be able to talk to the server. Doing some research everything I see is pointing to unbinding and rebinding her Mac to the Domain so that it will be able to change password again. It appears that the name on her Mac also didn't get changed so I will need to do that. My question is if I do the unbind and rebind as well as the name change will that mess up anything with the mobile profile? We are dealing with an EVP so I don't want to mess up her profile if I can avoid it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

duffcalifornia
Contributor

No, you can unbind, rename, and rebind from any profile and it will leave the profile alone. If you wanted to be extremely cautious, you could do those tasks from an IT admin account.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

duffcalifornia
Contributor

No, you can unbind, rename, and rebind from any profile and it will leave the profile alone. If you wanted to be extremely cautious, you could do those tasks from an IT admin account.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

A mobile account basically turns into a local account when the domain isn't available or the bind is broken, with some exceptions like the password change (since the password change needs to come from the directory). I can't think of any other exceptions, actually.

bruth85
New Contributor III

Great thanks! Like I said I just wanted to make sure doing the unbind and rebind wouldn't mess up her local profile after she rebooted and went to login again.

bruth85
New Contributor III

Great thanks! Like I said I just wanted to make sure doing the unbind and rebind wouldn't mess up her local profile after she rebooted and went to login again.