Reporting on profile sizes

Retrac
Contributor

We have Include home directory sizes ticked in Computer Inventory Collection and can see data when looking in a JSS computer record. All good.

The only issue now is I need to send a report to our project team as we are moving a load of users to MacBooks with smaller SSD. I can't see any way of adding the column with profile size data into a report on the Advanced Computer Search page.

Is this just missing or am I missing something?

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@Retrac you're not missing anything. It's just not available as a column you can add to a report. And it's not the only thing like that.
This issue remains one of my biggest annoyances about Casper Suite/JAMF Pro. Data that gets collected that you can't include in reports or build a Smart Group on. I just can't understand why this is still the case. These data fields are more or less useless. You can see it in each individual computer record, but can't do anything with it. Why is it even there?

I'm seriously hoping JAMF Pro 10 finally resolves this and makes everything that gets captured available as data we can report on.

As for what you can do, you have a couple of options.

1. You can turn off the collection option in the JSS and create your own Extension Attribute to collect that information, which can then be added as a column in your report.

2. You can leave that on and see if it's possible to pull the info from each record using the API, and put it into an Extension Attribute.

One last thing might be to build a report by running direct MySQL queries, but I'm not sure how to do that for that information.

Retrac
Contributor

Looks like the EA route will have to do for now. Shame we have to duplicate collected data.

Dinnerticketboy
New Contributor III

SQL Query is very easy: you need to create a link between 2 tables (user_receipts & computers)

SELECT b.computer_name AS 'Computer Name', username AS 'User Name', realname, home_directory AS 'Profile Directory', home_directory_size_mb AS 'Profile Size (MB)'
FROM jamfsoftware.user_receipts a INNER JOIN jamfsoftware.computers b ON a.computer_id = b.computer_id;