Skip to main content
Jamf Nation, hosted by Jamf, is a knowledgeable community of Apple-focused admins and Jamf users. Join us in person at the ninth annual Jamf Nation User Conference (JNUC) this November for three days of learning, laughter and IT love.

macOS Sierra Update 10.12.4 issue and fix

We have noticed an issue with the new 10.12.4 update and 13" MacBook Pro (w/ touchbar). In order to block this update, without blocking the App Store, we are pushing the following script in a policy:

#!/bin/bash

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS"
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Sierra"
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Sierra Update"
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Sierra Update-10.12.4"

If you need to allow the users to update, after testing, running the following script will reset the software update to allow this:

#!/bin/bash

sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored
Like Comment
Order by:
SOLVED Posted: by dpertschi

@bryan.feuling could you share the issue you're seeing?

SOLVED Posted: by bryan.feuling

@dpertschi We were seeing kernel panic and/or infinite boot loop on the 13" MacBook Pro's with Touchbar

SOLVED Posted: by hkabik

We saw the same on one of our 15" MBP with touchbar.

Seems to happen when update is applied via appstore, but not when applied via "softwareupdate" terminal command. Odd.

@hkabik We had previously ran "softwareupdate" on a 15" MBP w/Touchbar, and it just dropped into the kernel panic/infinit loop.

Our Apple TAM worked with someone that has had the problem, and their recommendation for systems already having the issue is to boot into Recovery Mode > Disk Utility > First Aid and then it worked.

that did not work for me. I had to completely rebuild the unit.

SOLVED Posted: by ryanstayloradobe

No issues on our end with the MacBook Pro 15 and 13 Touchbar via App Store or using "softwareupdate -ai". My colleague did have weird graphics issues this morning on a non-touch bar new 13" MB Pro. A restart seemed to have fixed the issue, but we're not sure.

That said, I've been having funky wifi issues on a 2015 MB Pro 15" running macOS 10.12.5 beta 1. It doesn't like my home Xfinity wifi router and refuses to connect. A couple of restarts seems to fix it, but it comes back again... The trials and tribulations of running beta software. No biggie.

SOLVED Posted: by koalatee

Just saw our first issue with this, 13" Retina touch-bar. First Aid on the disk did not work, but we were able to unlock the drive and then run First Aid on the macOS volume/partition - this ran some fixes and the next reboot finished the update.

SOLVED Posted: by chriscollins

So, we saw this issue with immediately rebooting when attempting to log on after the 10.12.3 update on quite a few TB-MBP machines and in each case, the clock on the computer was set years in the future. If we booted each machine to something external that had network access like a deploy studio netboot and it could reset the clock to the current time, then we could put the machine in target mode and run the combo updater from another laptop while tethered. Once we would restart it out of target mode, it would then finish doing the firmware update for the touchbar and finish doing the OS update.

@chriscollins Why did you go through that process rather than update the datetime in terminal through the Restore Mode?

@bryan.feuling

Because it wouldn't update from restore mode for some reason and it takes us an extra 30 seconds to netboot.

SOLVED Posted: by RobertHammen

@chriscollins Makes sense that the date/time being off would confuse the update, has to do with the Secure Enclave on these systems.

The bigger question is why the clock settings keep getting blown out by the update process...

SOLVED Posted: by RobertHammen

Finally Apple posted a KB with the servers and port numbers that the touchbar MBP's require access to:

HT207567

SOLVED Posted: by pchen_plaid

Just experienced this same issue, I then tried what @koalatee and it worked, thanks!!

SOLVED Posted: by Jeffery_Anderson

We've had the same problem with the date showing the year 2037 and then going to a boot loop. Both were 15" 2016 MBP. I've had to wipe both machines and only installed 10.12.3 and they work fine.

What's going to be the best way to get them on 10.12.4 without having these problems?

UPDATE:
Just wiped a machine and reinstalled 10.12.3. Enabled FileVault. Then did the combo update to 10.12.4. When it was done, it went into the boot loop.

So I wiped again and reinstalled 10.12.3. Enabled FileVault. Let encryption complete this time. Did combo update to 10.12.4. Now it boots but the time is off (year is set to 2037).

UPDATE #2:
Downloaded the full Install macOS Sierra version 10.12.4 (4.96GB) file from the App Store and copied it to a bootable USB drive. Booted from that drive on the problematic MacBook Pro. Wiped the machine again and this time installed the full version of 10.12.4 and now it's working. Time & Date is correct and no longer doing the boot loop.

SOLVED Posted: by cbooker

+1 for me also on a brand new 15" 2016 MacBook Pro with touchbar after failed attempt at updating to Mac OS 10.12.4 continual kernal panic/reboot loop. Trying to run disk first aid after booting from recovery did not work for me. I am reinstalling OS now.

SOLVED Posted: by roiegat

I only had one machine that had the issue of kernel panic after the update. I ended up re-imaging the machine and that seemed to fix the issue. Otherwise no other issues with 10.12.4.

SOLVED Posted: by geoffrepoli

Add me to the 2040 SMC bug list. 2016 15" MBP.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7904723

SOLVED Posted: by LarryH

I've seen the date and time issue on two Late 2013 MBP Retina this week, both computers recently updated to 10.12.4. Logging in I'd see the updating Managed Prefrences box for a few seconds and then the date was set to December 2037. I was able to log in as the local admin and go to the Date and Time preferences and uncheck the box to automatically set the date and time, adjust date and time to correct settings, recheck the box to automaticlly udpate date and time and do a reboot of the computer.

SOLVED Posted: by roiegat

We are up to three machines in our company with this issue. The one fix I found was to boot up in restore paritition and run disk repair on the hard drive and logical partition. Rebooting after that shows the 10.2.4 updating completing and seems to fix the issues.

Well, the bug is back. I had made it through about 3 reboots until the final application install before giving it back to the customer and now it's showing the year 2040 (in the menu bar) and 2037 in the Date & Time Preferences panel.

UPDATE:
Right after posting this I looked back at the machine and the year is back to 2017. I did nothing! What is going on here??

UPDATE:
Another reboot. Back to 2040.

Is there an open bug report about this with Apple yet?

@hkabik We have submitted something to Apple about this.

SOLVED Posted: by charles.hitch

I'll throw in there that we have 20 15" TouchBar MBP's that are experiencing this issue. All have run the software update as pushed by Jamf Pro and were running 10.12.3 before the update. We have opened a support case as well.

Yeah we also have had this more and more so we blocked the update. Though the source of the update has varied from Software Update to the manual combo updater.

The problem with blocking the update is it patches a pretty severe vulnerability.

http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/03/apple-x509.html
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207615

Hopefully Apple does something about this soon so we can get back on track.

just checking in here: the issue is resolved with an SMC reset. This doesn't address the cause, but, for those of you with Macs that are seeing the issue...

SMC and PRAM resets have not helped in our case.

SMC will often temporarily resolve it but within the next 4 or 5 restarts it will start up again.

SOLVED Posted: by dan-snelson

We have three impacted machines (i.e., system clock being 20 years into the future), all of which are "15-inch Retina MacBook Pro with TouchID (Late 2016)" models, running macOS 10.12.4.

Disconnecting USB-C adapters before booting seems to help.

SOLVED Posted: by chris.hansen

We saw this on a 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro with TouchID (Late 2016)

The Date was flipping between November 13, then December 19 2037 in the system.log, occasionally jumping to the current date.
It was set to autoset from Apple time servers.
Not imaged, just updated to 10.12.4
We saw this behavior when using a Belkin USBC to GB Ethernet.

After I read this discussion, mentioned above
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7904723?start=15&tstart=0

I followed the suggestion to install the realTek driver for the Belkin chipset inside the adapter from http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=56&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false and the date problem immediately stopped on this device.

Weird. Hope this helps someone.

AppleCare advised us today:

The product engineering team has made some progress on this issue and a change to ntp is being developed to help address this behavior. We will let you know immediately once this change has been integrated and a beta is available for testing.
SOLVED Posted: by kquan

@chris.hansen Thanks for the update! I was having that exact issue with the Belkin USB-C to GB adapter and did notice the time fix once unplugged/disconnected. Oh third party products! Surprised Apple hasnt made their "Official" adapter.....

@dan.snelson Thank you for the update!

An update from AppleCare:

macOS 10.12.5 beta 4 is now available to eligible users. The build is 16F67a and it is available to members of the AppleSeed for IT (https://appleseed.apple.com) and Apple Developer seed (https://developer.apple.com/download/) programs. The beta 4 release is expected to address this issue described in this case where the date can randomly jump to twenty years in the future (2040). Please install the 10.12.5 beta 4 release on a test client and let us know if this appears to have addressed the issue.

Results from a single quick-and-dirty test:

On a single test machine, a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro with TouchID (Late 2016), running macOS 10.12.5, Build 16F67a, the issue appears to be resolved.

Great news, thanks @dan.snelson

SOLVED Posted: by Bhughes

assuming you all have seen this?? :

[https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/22727/critical-update-won-t-install-after-imaging](link URL)

SOLVED Posted: by Beeferman

I've run into a different problem with a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), since the update to 10.12.4 we've been experiencing total lock-up during random workloads, designing in Adobe Creative Cloud, copying text from a website, clicking between windows on desktop. Can't seem to pinpoint the conflict. Anyone else have heard of similar?

Attached activity monitor screenshot to look for any conflicts.

Thanks.

SOLVED Posted: by nikgio

@chris.hansen You helped me! I tried installing that Realtek driver for the date/time issue, and it also fixed my not being able to netboot issue! I shared your post on that feed, in case it helped anyone else. Thanks a million.

FYI: the Tripp-Lite U444-06N-DGU-C adapter will also cause this

SOLVED Posted: by Bhughes
FYI: the Tripp-Lite U444-06N-DGU-C adapter will also cause this

@grepoli Which issue will it cause?

SOLVED Posted: by peguesrc

Beta still has not provided a fix. Tried updating to Beta and the same issue persist. Spoke with our TAM and let them know. The weird thing about this issue is that various workarounds work but none 100%.

SOLVED Posted: by jhalvorson

A few MacBookPro13,3 were being dropped off to me because the techs could not reimage or get a clean OS installed on them. They were behaving oddly after updating to 10.12.4, so one of the things they tried was to reimage them.

Reseting the SMC, zapping the PRAM, or using different types of Ethernet adapters did not resolve future year issue. The one's I've worked on have the year set to Dec 2040 or Jan 2041.

I've been able to (temporarily) resolve by booting from a USB drive with the 10.12.4 installer, opening Terminal, and then using the Date command to reset the hardware clock. Once set properly, then it will successfully netboot, net image, and/or Internet Recovery, or install 10.12.4 from a external USB drive.

Has anyone noticed that it's computers that are upgraded from 10.12.x to 10.12.4 via software updates that are effected - something included in the update process creates the problem? I wonder if installing 10.12.4 on a clean device will avoid the issue from coming back.

Using the date command gets them going again, but might not be the long term solution.

SOLVED Posted: by sstammbach

@jhalvorson It also happens on a clean 10.12.4 installation.

@sstammbach Yep. Since my prior post, I've witnessed that as well. AppleCare Support has informed me this will be addressed with 10.12.5. They didn't comment if it was an issue specific to which type of network adapter as a trigger. I'll see if I can get repeated problems with certain adapters or not.

SOLVED Posted: by sstammbach

@jhalvorson We only had issues with the Belkin USB-C Adaptor so far. No Problems with Dell, LMP, etc.
Yes, 10.12.5 (beta 4 & beta 5) are working fine until now. Hope it stays that way with the final release of 10.12.5...

Limited testing, I can get the date to jump to 203x or 204x periodically when: rebooting with a White Belkin USB-C to Ethernet (F2CU040) and a White Kanex USB-C to Ethernet (KU3CGBT) connected to a wired network.

I have not seen the date jump happen when using a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 PLUS Apple TB2 to Ethernet adapter. Nor when using a Aluminum StarTech USB-C to Ethernet (US1GC30A).

SOLVED Posted: by mbezzo

I'm definitely seeing this on non late 2016 MBP's too. Opened a case with Apple and their suggestions aren't working on this specific machine. Turning FV off allows the Mac to boot, but as soon as it is re-enabled back to boot looping.

Fun.

SOLVED Posted: by YoshiiZee

We are having this issue too. Worst possible time as well since we've just begun the JAMF rollout to replace our current solution of Centrify.

In any case we've had about 3-4 users affected. We initially thought it was JAMF causing it, based on how we did the migration but have now seen it happen on out of box models. It appears that FV 10.12.4 Belkin USB C to Gigabit E are the wild cards. Problem is now our machines are stuck with FV enabled and unable to disable or run the following which JAMF provided us:

1. Boot into single user mode and run the below commands

mount -uw /
kextcache -u /
exit

1. This will boot the system into the OS where you can disable FileVault, fix the time, remove any attached dongles, then re-enable FileVault.
SOLVED Posted: by chris.hansen

10.12.5 released. "...Resolves an issue, affecting some enterprise and education customers, that may cause the system date to be set to the year 2040...." among other things.

SOLVED Posted: by YoshiiZee

@chris.hansen fingers crossed running on one of my plagued machines! I was able to finally decrypt, but odd procedure. Ran the decryption first in Recovery Mode but it kept saying Paused. Booted into Target Disk Mode and then ran the command to check the status and sure enough it was chugging along. Thought it was sort of bizarre that the decryption was actively running in TDM. 3 hours later and I was back into the users' machine.

Running the 10.12.5 patch, re-encrypting and praying for the best.

Has anyone had any luck updating from 10.12.3 to 10.12.5 without the device being stuck in the reboot loop?

SOLVED Posted: by mbezzo

10.12.5 has fixed the issue for us. I booted from an external bootable drive and installed the 10.12.5 combo updater. The computer to a LONG time at the boot progress screen, but eventually logged in as the user just fine.

@mbezzo When you updated to 10.12.5 were you computers on 10.12.3? Can you elaborate on combo updater please?

@mbezzo answered my own question, nvm.

SOLVED Posted: by av8tor9804

2016 15" MBP w/ TB worked fine for 3 months before 10.12.4. After a clean install of either 10.12.4 or even 10.12.5, it still will enter a startup loop after a few normal restarts. I've resorted to using 10.12.2 for now until a definitive fix arrives.

I always have FileVault turned on.
I don't use any Belkin adapter.
I've never noticed an issue with the date going to the year 2040, etc.

AppleCare knows about the issue but wouldn't provide their in-house tracking number regarding it; don't think it's a Campaign as of yet, since they have no published fix so far.

SOLVED Posted: by knnuui

Hi everyone, it sucks to have an update causing the boot loop issue, but good to see that I'm not alone. From my understanding jamf is a website for IT professionals but I'm not one. I saw mbezzo mentioned installing 10.12.5 from an external bootable drive to fix the issue. I would like to know if anyone has luck fixing the 10.12.4 boot loop by installing 10.12.5 update from the App Store? Thanks!

@knnuui the only thing that worked consistently for me was the same thing suggested by @YoshiiZee

1.) Boot into single user mode
Run the commands:
mount -uw /
kextcache -u /
exit

2.) As it continues to boot, it will look like it's stuck but it isn't. Just wait a while and it will eventually reach the login

3.) Disable File Vault encryption and let it completely decrypt

4.) Re-enable FV

Sometimes booting to something else and fixing time would work for a bit but not always. Also booting from an external drive and trying to install the combo update for 10.12.5 to the regular boot drive would not work. Once the update had finished running it would just be back into the reboot cycle.

10.12.5 update worked on my first test machine so far. I used the App Store update to go from 10.12.3 to 10.12.5. This one machine I had tried to go to 10.12.4 but kept getting the time bug, so I wiped and reinstalled 10.12.3 and kept it at that version until today. I'm glad to have this issue resolved.

SOLVED Posted: by knnuui

@Jeffery_Anderson Good to know!