VM Fusion Updates Packaging

Berzinji
New Contributor II

I am sure there is a way to capture the VM Fusion updates. VM Fusion is trying to update and I want to capture that and make it available in Self Service.

1. Do I use composer to capture changes in my system to package the update?
  2. I did not find cumulative updates for VM Fusion for their v. 8.x to 8.5.6, if anyone knows a way, please share.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Berzinji VMware has never made patch updaters for Fusion available for download from their web site, just the complete application download. You'd be better off just downloading and packing the new Fusion application with Composer than capturing changes to the system when Fusion updates itself.

Berzinji
New Contributor II

I thought that too but thought to check with the community first. Thank you sdagley.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Don't use Composer to try to capture update files (this is called "Composeritis" and generally leads to non-functional apps). Bad idea all around. Use the vendor package to deploy, whenever possible (or simply build one if the developer only provides the .app). Sure, the vendor pkg might be larger in size, but it will most certainly work (see: Office 2016 SKUless installer)...

kwsenger
Contributor

For larger installers we have used a 'Cache' policy and then an 'Install Cache' policy scoped to a Smart Group. This alleviates the issue larger downloads and long Self Service install times.

rqomsiya
Contributor III

@Berzinji Follow this workflow for packaging the VM Fusion.app. I would first install drag it into the /Applications/ folder then follow the steps highlighted in @rtrouton's workflow using Simple Package Creator:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/simple-package-creator-app/