New MacBook Pro - Desk Setup

bento
New Contributor

Hi,

We are considering deployment options for dealing with new MacBook Pro, and USB-C docking stations, but there aren't very many on the market yet. We are trying out the sd4500 from Kensington, but its not exactly ideal, especially with dual monitors. Since we may move from two smaller monitors to one larger one anyway, this may not make a difference, but I was wondering how others are doing this at the moment.

Are you utilizing a bunch of dongles to make it work, or have you found some other docking station or hub to to connect everything from ethernet to dual monitors?

10 REPLIES 10

bento
New Contributor

Or are we all just waiting for the release of upcoming thunderbolt3 docks?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@bento Have you looked into the Thunderbolt 3 dock from OWC (supposed to be about a month from shipping)? I haven't switched to a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 equipped machine yet, but I have been very pleased with the Thunderbolt 2 Dock from OWC, so that will be my preferred dock once I do upgrade to a new MacBook Pro.

rcamacho
New Contributor II

I recently tested the Kensington SD4600P dock, I have to say I was not pleased. Issues with monitors not responding after screensaver was enabled, ethernet speeds were not optimal. Waiting for Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express dock. We purchased a few Triplite USB C adapters in the interim. Waiting to here more about Caldigit Dock.

leadtrombone
New Contributor

For our MacBooks we are using the Targus Dock 410

Otherwise we are waiting on the thunderbolt 3 docks.

As far as dongles go we are skipping giving multiple dongles to end users and are considering give one of these [Dock 411](
http://www.targus.com/us/usb-c-universal-docking-station-dock410usz)

typeraj
New Contributor III

We've also been testing the Targus 410 as well as this one from StarTech. Both have been horribly unreliable. Forget about running two screens, one has been a struggle. Tried using them with different TouchBar models and different displays, but always end up with flickering screens, no video at all, unresponsive keyboard and mouse. The only thing that has worked consistently is the pass-through charging.

We're waiting for the Belkin and Henge Dock offerings - lets see if they're any better.

tstott
New Contributor II

Just to add to the list. I tested the Dell TB 16 dock and even with the thunderbolt Hack I'm sad to say it is not compatible, pretty much nothing works. I have flagged with Dell but may never be compliant. I too am searching for the ideal dock but none have presented yet. I am using the Dell DA 200, successfully for ethernet, VGA/HDMI and USB may be useful for some

mbezzo
Contributor III

We're awaiting new TB3 docks, and in the meantime are using existing Belkin TB2 docks with the TB3-TB2 adapter from Apple. It works well enough while we wait... Have the OWC dock on pre-order and am watching for these to become available:

Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD (coming "soon") Kensington SD5000T Thunderbolt 3 Dock (avail Q1 2017) StarTech Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Docking Station (avail April) (after further review - it only provides 15w of power...) Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock (coming "soon") Henge Tether Thunderbolt 3 Dock (coming "soon") CalDigit TS3 Dock (mid May)

Thanks,
Matt

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Some docks and and adapters are listed here:
https://goo.gl/ZyjdCr

We have gone with LG Ultrafine 5K displays and this adapter (there are a few more like it on the spreadsheet):
Satechi Aluminum Multi-Port Adapter (HDMI 4K @ 30hz, Power pass-through, Ethernet, SD/microSD reader, 3x USB3)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FWT7MEK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's been working great. Takes up little space. Definitely less space than the full dock stations. And is portable in case a user wants to take it when traveling.

bento
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies, they're all super helpful. I had a ridiculous idea involving appleTVs, but the 1080 resolution limit and slow response time among other limitations shot that down real quick lol.

We're looking for a Dock that will be able to handle both the Macs and Dells with USB-C, but it looks like we have to wait a bit until there is a real solution.

Thanks again!

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I suspect most USB-C docks are not going to supply enough power depending on the Dell laptops you're using in which case you'd be stuck using the Dell docks which seem to have issues on the new MacBook Pros. Check out either the spreadsheet I linked before (includes USB-C and Thunderbolt docks) or this spreadsheet (includes Thunderbolt docks) which list the power the docks provide. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jAYm3ePGdP052JSfIxWTOWpIl9P3bnssm8kImdK3rqE
Do note that USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 are different.

With that in mind, what would be wrong with using an adapter like the one I linked to? It's definitely a one power solution for the Mac, and if you used it on a Dell laptop which doesn't accept power through it, it's just an extra power cable you have the user plug into the Dell laptop. It has the same ports that most people are getting from 'docks'. It's just in a much smaller form factor. What kind of monitors are you dealing with?