Closed cases?

nhubbard
New Contributor III

Before I ask the question, this is not an angry post! Just curious why... I have had a couple of open cases with Jamf Support, the latest being a rather important one and ongoing for about a month back and forth now, but then end up randomly being closed. I don't receive any notification of the support case being closed, I just "happen" to come across it. Has anyone else experienced this, or know the reason why behind it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jacob_bernardy
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for the feedback. I wanted to say that for anyone who has ever experienced this, we're sorry. Your case should never be closed without a notification from us, and a path to re-open the case should always be clear. In this specific case, there was an error on the part of Jamf Support. In addition, this has prompted us to take a closer look at how our internal case management system displays case statuses in Jamf Nation to create better clarity.

We also know that mistakes happen, and if it's ever necessary, you can always open a closed case by posting a response in Jamf Nation.

Thanks again for the feedback!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrwilcox
Contributor

This happens to us all the time they don't like to have open cases so they close em. Does not seem to have any thing to do with whether or not the issues are fixed.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Probably depends on your buddy? We haven't had this issue.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

In my experience the only time this has happened to me is if Jamf was waiting on some feedback from me on something to try to see if it solved an issue and I never got back to them. They can't have tickets open forever, so if there is no customer response after a certain amount of time, they close it. I'm wondering if perhaps that's why the case was closed? Did you owe them a response that was never sent? Understand that I am not accusing you of anything. Just wondering if that could be why?
It sounds like you were still in communication with them on the case though, so maybe not. I guess I would reach out to my Jamf buddy for an explanation on why it was closed. I'm sure there's some reason for it.

nhubbard
New Contributor III

Actually they were not. I was awaiting a response from them that was promised on Monday of this week. After not hearing from them, I decided to check my open support cases and noticed it had been closed with the last comment from support being "I am actually going to be off on Friday, so I will follow up with you on Monday when I return!". I questioned the closed case on the ticket itself. The response I received for the reason it was being closed out was "Cases on our side are never actually closed but are put into an inactive or suspended state. Inactive cases can be activated by sending an email or updating it via Jamf Nation. This case was put into a suspended state so that it would automatically activate if you did not activate it within 2 weeks."

That is just a strange answer to me. And really doesn't make any sense considering it says the case is closed. I have had other cases that were active and not waiting my response and they were closed out as well. I feel like this happens when they don't really have the answer to my support question. I could be wrong, but so far that seems to be the trend. I just never pushed the other ones because I gave up and moved onto something else.

millersc
Valued Contributor

@nhubbard I've seen the same thing with some longer running cases we've had.

I believe that the wording and way the tickets are viewed should be adjusted to the client. From our stand point we see open or closed. Internally they might see the in-between stuff.

nhubbard
New Contributor III

@millersc - Agreed. I feel somewhat bad, because I'm really not complaining. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on. It's tough for me to constantly be aware of checking in on my support cases as my day to day job duties tend me somewhat busy and usually crazy.

Thank you everyone for the input and validation that I may not be the only one experiencing this.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, that is definitely a strange explanation. Closed means "closed", not "temporarily suspended". They are not the same thing. Sounds like a wording/communication issue that Jamf should address. How would anyone know that if they see a case suddenly end up "Closed" that it's not really closed and can be reactivated with an email to them? Of course, NOW you know that, but you couldn't have been expected to know that before. : /

jacob_bernardy
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for the feedback. I wanted to say that for anyone who has ever experienced this, we're sorry. Your case should never be closed without a notification from us, and a path to re-open the case should always be clear. In this specific case, there was an error on the part of Jamf Support. In addition, this has prompted us to take a closer look at how our internal case management system displays case statuses in Jamf Nation to create better clarity.

We also know that mistakes happen, and if it's ever necessary, you can always open a closed case by posting a response in Jamf Nation.

Thanks again for the feedback!

nhubbard
New Contributor III

Thank you Jacob for your response. I appreciate it. Since then, things seem to be working well now and they are continuing to work with me on the issue without closing out my case.