backup devices before wiping and enrolling through DEP

Rizvi
New Contributor II

So we recently had our DEP setup and we have retroactively enrolled a bunch of devices into DEP. However, these devices need to be backed up (photos and contacts). I tried iTunes and that does not work after DEP enrollment. Can someone provide some guidance as to how best to go about restoring the Data on these devices post DEP. Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

bburdeaux
Contributor II

The issue is supervision. Backups, both iTunes and iCloud, store the supervision state of that specific device, so restoring that backup will overwrite the supervision the DEP enrollment attempts and break everything. If you want to restore an unsupervised backup to a supervised iPad, you have to restore the backup to a different device, since the saved supervision state doesn't apply to this new device. We struggled with this a couple years ago, and ended up having to rotate devices around during our deployments (i.e. users 1-5 get unused iPads, users 6-10 get 1-5's iPads, and so on).

bumbletech
Contributor III

More time consuming, but you can also backup device A, restore to B; back up B (it having been restored with A's data) and restore back to A.

wolftech
New Contributor III

Seems like if you turn on the authentication option in the Enrollment Profile, it will allow you to both restore from iCloud and keep the device supervised. I've only tested this on a couple devices, but so far, so good... Would be good to have others confirm this.

mrplumber
New Contributor

Apologies on resurrecting an old thread, but I'm running into this issue now too.

wolftech, when you mention "authentication option in the Enrollment Profile" - where specifically are you looking at? Is that somewhere within Configurator?