App updates via JSS

nhubbard
New Contributor III

I am probably asking the most foolish question here, but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong! I see there is an app update for pages, keynote, numbers. I have a caching server, that I'm in hopes I set up correctly, and I have the programs updated on that. I can see in my JSS that the newest versions are sitting there and scoped out correctly. However, it should push an automatic update to the 300+ devices I have but it is not. My users do not have apple id's, it is all very managed. How can I push the updated versions to my users? Or am I completely missing something?? Thank you for your help in advance, I greatly appreciate it :)89c738b7ad7f4b54aa8689bf1f620dbe

4 REPLIES 4

StoneMagnet
Contributor III

@nhubbard What happens if you use the Force Update button in the Mac App Store Apps entry for one of those apps? (you have to be in Edit mode for the Mac App Store App record before that button will be visible)

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@nhubbard according to this you may be experiencing a known product issue. You might want to reach out to Jamf Support to see what they say. They apparently have a hotfix for 9.98 that fixes the issue.

nhubbard
New Contributor III

Thank you both! I will try the force update but will also reach out to Jamf. I couldn't figure it out, as it had worked in the past but I think you might be right with the 9.98 hotfix, update, etc. because I believe now that you mentioned it that's when I started having issues.

CairoJXP
Contributor

We are on JSS 9.101 and I've figured out the solution to this issue with 2 different processes.

Process 1: this is fine assuming you'e not worried about data loss with the app
1. In Mobile Device Apps, make a new app profile for the app you want updated 2. Remove the scoped groups from the old profile and delete that app profile.
3. Once you can see (via update inventory on one of the devices in a scope) that the app has been uninstalled, add the groups to the scope of the new app profile you created and let it auto-install the app

Process 2:
1. In your current app profile, check off the "automatically update app" and set the time within a minute or two from the current time.
2. Let the app update at the scheduled time and refresh your browser to see that the version has actually changed in that app profile
3. Be sure you're in edit mode and click the "force update" button and it will then push out that new version to the devices it's scoped to

The force update isn't clear on how it works, but I was successful using both of these methods. Hope it helps!