Skip to main content
Jamf Nation, hosted by Jamf, is the largest Apple IT management community in the world. Dialog with your fellow IT professionals, gain insight about Apple device deployments, share best practices and bounce ideas off each other. Join the conversation.

Garageband & sound libraries

Posted: 5/19/17 at 12:04 PM by nhubbard

I currently have the app set up with a policy in JSS that pushes garageband to all devices but am unable to pre-install the sound library. Currently the end users are taking the time (about 20 min each) to install the sound library after the program installs. Shouldn't be a big deal but it affects the classroom time.

This may have already been addressed, I'm not sure . . . but any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks - N

CCA Badge CCE Badge CMA Badge

Posted: 5/19/17 at 12:10 PM by Sandy

HI! I recommend you search through previous posts and look for most recent.
This is not a straightforward fix and not even sure what the latest is...

Posted: 5/19/17 at 12:41 PM by kmabe

The only way I have found is to install both the app and the sound library and package it (I use Composer). I saw some other posts as well and the only thing I could gather from them was packaging it with whatever packaging method you prefer.

Posted: 5/19/17 at 12:58 PM by nhubbard

I have composer so I will give that a shot. Thank you!

Posted: 5/19/17 at 1:07 PM by kmabe

Ur welcome...I've tried pushing the sound library separately as we wanted to migrate to installing the apps through managed distribution, but no matter what I did it never noticed the sound library was there and wanted to download it each time. By composing, you don't get ability to update the app without having to capture it all again, but it prevents the subsequent download which was better for us in our environment.

CCA Badge CMA Badge

Posted: 5/19/17 at 1:13 PM by gshackney

Since moving to Managed Distribution, I've given up on installing the extra GarageBand pieces.
Also since we adding caching servers around the district, I've found that the few people who actually need this installed can do it fairly quickly (depending on your intranet of course). What used to take over 20min now just takes a few minutes for the full install to push from our Apple Caching servers (again depending on network traffic at the time).
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Posted: 5/22/17 at 6:46 AM by CasperSally

@gshackney are your users admins I guess?

CCA Badge CMA Badge

Posted: 5/22/17 at 6:51 AM by gshackney

No, however we have tech assistants at each building who can facilitate these one offs. It's still a pain we don't just have a pkg from Apple that can just be added but we deal. Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

CCA Badge CJA Badge

Posted: 5/22/17 at 1:51 PM by Chris_Hafner

I haven't looked at the latest GarageBand, but I managed this last summer with Composer rather simply. I will be working at this again in another week or two. If you folks are still having issues I'll try to circle back.

CCA Badge CCE Badge

Posted: 5/22/17 at 1:51 PM by kwsenger

In our school district, we used a Mac with a fresh never before launched GarageBand.app install and then updated all loops and content.
All the content and loops "25GB" were in these directories. We could either use Target Disk Mode and copy over to devices via thunderbolt that really needed all the content, lab carts or the student could install the 25GB package from Self Service.

These are the folders needed to complete a FULL GarageBand install.

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand
/Library/Application Support/Logic
/Library/Audio/Apple Loops
/Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index
/Library/Audio/Impulse Responses

Users would need to click on the Gear icon to reindex all the loops and content if they choose not to wait for it to index on each new AD managed mobile login.

CCA Badge CMA Badge

Posted: 5/22/17 at 1:55 PM by gshackney

The original problem I always found with the composer solutions was that it never seemed to make the garageband extras index properly, so it could never see all the extras as "installed". Perhaps the newer versions allow this now?

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools