Which Anti-Virus Software do you use?

mkolb
Contributor

Hi everybody!

We are forced by our company policy to use an anti-virus software. At the moment this means McAfee. Not my first choice.. this software is a real pain in the *... But it would be a little bit easier to get rid of it, if I could provide good alternatives.

So... which Anti-Virus software are you running? And why? One criteria: it must be centralised, of course.

Thanks for your input!

11 REPLIES 11

kerouak
Valued Contributor

Sophos Enterprise for us.
Does what it says on the tin.

fredmin
New Contributor III

Sophos Cloud here.

Negligible impact on client machines, good feedback for admins, very through in detecting virus, malware and PUA.

joshuasee
Contributor III

Sophos Enterprise, replacing System Center Endpoint Protect, and McAfee before that.

SCEP was retired due to detecting too little, IIRC.

jefff
Contributor II

Kaspersky. Our shop is mostly Windows and our ISO picked the product for its ability to secure Windows endpoints and servers.

The decision was made without my input and before my time. (This is the first place I've worked that required antivirus on the Mac platform, so I don't have an alternative that I would have offered instead.) The ISO loves Kaspersky on the Windows side of the house, but our experiences on the Mac side have been mostly negative. I've read the docs and without access to the central server, I have yet to figure out how to add an activated copy to a Mac without him manually adding each machine to the KES management tool. A colleague who manages labs of Macs demonstrated that the KES client added minutes to the initial AD login process and convinced the ISO to exclude his Macs from the requirement to have the client. The client also has an alert sound like a lion's roar that was disruptive to the teaching process. The fact that the client kept alerting on the colleague's favorite Mac utility as "possible adware" didn't endear KES to him, either!

iJake
Valued Contributor

mgoralski
New Contributor II

ESET Endpoint Antivirus. We deploy at build time, and put it in Self Service for our techs. Works perfectly, and you can pave over old versions with a new one without re-keying the software.

kstrick
Contributor III

Using Sophos Enterprise (non-cloud).
Works alright, not sure how much it actually helps, although it has detected infected windows files access by our Macs.
Not convinced it's doing much in regards to adware.

Stay away from Symantec, imho.
We had bad experiences with it.

gabriel_martine
New Contributor III

Just moved to Sophos Cloud from Sophos Enterprise. Very happy with the product. It is super easy to manage and seems to block anything we have thrown at it.

mradams
Contributor

We use Kaspersky as we are majority Windows in the District. It is a pain to get installed; but by packaging the agent and deploying to a smart group based on if the agent is present, then running a script after the agent is copied, the KES server detects the device automatically and forces the client to install. So once set up it is hands free.

macmanmk
Contributor

Cisco AMP here.

mkolb
Contributor

Wow! Thank you all for the great input! There were many votes for Sophos, which I also had in mind, but I will take a look at Cisco AMP too, haven't known it before. This is definitely something I can work with.

Thanks!