Crestron Electronics' App

JNeumann
New Contributor

Hi all.

Inspired by a piece of Dean Hager's presentation last year regarding the hospital in San Diego that is equipped with Crestron room automation technology in each room, I decided to dust off some of the Crestron gear we already owned to give it another crack.

We have ended up a nicely refitted boardroom complete with motorised window shades.

One show stopper. Crestron now have a free iOS app and a paid iOS app. The paid app is considered legacy and the free one is activated by an in-app purchase. I had been planning on just using the usual VPP techniques to purchase and distribute licenses to users and devices as appropriate. The IAP app has ended that idea... so now I need to think about a potentially different approach if I want to push ahead further with Crestron room fit outs. IAP method won't scale very well.

If anyone has worked with this equipment in multi-room venues with conceptually a large user-base to support, I would like to talk to you!

Thanks heaps.

3 REPLIES 3

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I had the same issue for our Library (Learning Commons) Crestron Setup. The only solution at the time (3 or 4 years ago) was to buy an iTunes gift card and redeem it to a specific account for use with that Crestron system.
Would love to hear another solution if there is one for in app purchases!

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

mikeh
Contributor II

At the moment, the recommended solution is to contact the vendor and ask them to produce a new package with the IAP built into it, which could then be purchased through the VPP store. They are under no obligation to do so, of course, but you'd think that a company with a large percentage of sales to business might see the benefit.

I'm not holding my breath that Apple will change the VPP program to accommodate IAP's. Maybe they'll surprise us in a couple weeks?

JNeumann
New Contributor

I'd ended up showing our Crestron programmers this thread and they asked Crestron themselves for comment.

Crestron have pointed out that they offer a version of their app in the VPP Business app store that would be suitable for distribution with an MDM solution. This app does not show up in the VPP Education store.

So there you have it!