DEP w/ 10.12.5 done from internet recovery Account creation issue

kquan
Contributor

Hey Guys,

Going through setup assistant on a brand new machine w/ 10.12.5 using Full name : Administrator Account Name : admin which it would say that admin is a 'Name is used by another user".

I checked in the /Users directory and do not see the 'admin' account there. The management account is located in /private/var . There previously there was no issue prior to that, and we have not made any changes to the Prestage/DEP policies.

So , I thought that this is interesting. I used one of our created netrestore image of macOS 10.12.3 , ran through setup assistant and when doing the Administrator/admin account it did not complain.

I found this article which did help : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2547071?tstart=0

I did a 'dscl . list /Users' in terminal and did locate the 'admin' account (made a completely different account)

then I did a 'sudo dscl . delete /Users/admin'

re-created Administrator/admin and it did not complain. I'm wondering if there is a fix around this? The administrator/admin account was never created to begin with!

3 REPLIES 3

ArthurZ
New Contributor II

Hi kquan,

Are you creating a local hidden admin account in your Prestage DEP policy?
Let me know, az

kquan
Contributor

Hi @ArthurZ

The local admin account is not set in the Prestage DEP policy. Noticed the issue when a computer is restored to 10.12.5 from Internet Recovery. I've tried to restore from a created 10.12.3 OS installer and that had no issue.

-Kevin

kquan
Contributor

d4163ac19a9f4a2d87b6f3e533447f4a

For some reason this "_mbsetupuser" is getting the policy before the account even gets created. Which can explain why the "Administrator/admin" account name is being "taken". This is happening on computers that have 10.12.4 and up on the new macs assigned in DEP. Anything 10.12.3 and under does not exhibit this issue. A bit puzzled as to what may have changed.