Offline Imaging setup

Marc00
New Contributor

Hi,

I am having a few issues trying to set up offline imaging through Casper. I want to be able to image Macs using 1 of 4 OS images and then 1 of 4 configurations on top of the OS. I have created a base and a creative image for the El Capitan and Sierra OS's, and setup 4 configurations for the different offices, as they all need slightly different setups i.e. required software, printers etc. Due to network bandwidth issues I don't want to be pushing GB of data across our site links so would prefer to have everything on an external disk so I have a portable imaging solution I can take with me to each site.

The ideal result I am looking to achieve would make it so I am able to build any combination of the OS images, with the configurations from an external Thunderbolt drive via target disk mode. From what I have read offline imaging via target mode imaging would seem to be the best solution, but according to the small bit of info about offline imaging on the JAMF website you need to install Mac OS on the external before connecting it to a host computer which I don't understand. The JAMF documentation doesn't really explain how to do this (if it can be done) in any great detail. Surely there is a way I can select which OS image I want to install and then add the configuration on top. Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated, even if it is to say that what I am hoping to achieve can't be done as even that will save me a lot of time.

Thanks

Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Marc00 What you want to look at is Offline Imaging. With Target Mode Imaging you are still pulling your configuration data, the files and such, from a distribution point unless you have prepared a USB/Thunderbolt drive with all of your packages. You can read about Offline Imaging in this KB:

Offline Imaging

And TMI:

Target Mode Imaging

We talked about this in another discussion: target-disk-imaging-via-ssd-workflow

With Offline Imaging the one thing to keep in mind is that machines are not enrolled in the JSS at time of imaging, so you will need to run a QuickAdd upon first boot. That, however can be planned as part of the imaging process by placing the QuickAdd on the machine and dropping a LaunchDaemon to run the QuickAdd on first boot. That should enroll the machine and get your management account on there.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@Marc00 You could Create a Restorable DMG and then use Casper Admin to replicate to your external drive.

Look
Valued Contributor III

If the sites still have access to the JSS and it's just the bandwidtth your concerned about then I think it works pretty easily.
The OS install is so you can boot off the external drive, you don't have to do it this way.
For example of you are using AutoCasperNBI you can use the bootable DMG option applied to a USB key and that will work just as well as the boot device, then all you need on the external drive are the packages themselves, you can also Netboot of a local netboot with Casper Imaging on it.
If the sites still have access to the JSS and it's just the bandwidtth your concerned about then it works prettty easily, you just boot off the alternative device, it stills pulls the configuration data off the JSS but you select the local external HDD as the distribution point, I think it might even fail back to another DP over your WAN if a package was for some reason unavailble on the select HDD.
I have only done this in a test environment but it seemed to work okay.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Marc00 What you want to look at is Offline Imaging. With Target Mode Imaging you are still pulling your configuration data, the files and such, from a distribution point unless you have prepared a USB/Thunderbolt drive with all of your packages. You can read about Offline Imaging in this KB:

Offline Imaging

And TMI:

Target Mode Imaging

We talked about this in another discussion: target-disk-imaging-via-ssd-workflow

With Offline Imaging the one thing to keep in mind is that machines are not enrolled in the JSS at time of imaging, so you will need to run a QuickAdd upon first boot. That, however can be planned as part of the imaging process by placing the QuickAdd on the machine and dropping a LaunchDaemon to run the QuickAdd on first boot. That should enroll the machine and get your management account on there.

Marc00
New Contributor

@stevewood

Thanks Steve the link you added in for the target mode imaging - ssd workflow discussion gave me the info I was missing from the Offline Imaging. So I think I am all good to go now. I've also had a watch of the Unwrap the Imaging Enigma video that is linked in that discussion which I found really helpful even though its a couple of years old.

@everyone Thanks for all your help and suggestions.