Admin Cannot Connect (server did not respond with any information)

Javy
New Contributor

Has anyone seen this? I just updated to 9.99 and now I get this error when trying to connect with admin. All seems well otherwise, can download/install packages, etc.

7224385501f0486782a4fefb623574f0

18 REPLIES 18

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Did you check (uncheck) the cert verification box when launching Casper Admin?

Also...from the machine you are trying to launch Casper Admin on, can you manually mount the DP?

Finally, as a sanity check, can you get to the JSS via the web on the same machine you are running Casper Admin on ?

Javy
New Contributor

I have checked/unchecked the box, no difference.

I can manually mount the share.

I can connect to the JSS web no problem.

All the apps fail to connect though (Admin, Recon, Remote, etc)

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Try holding down option key while opening Casper Admin...repopulate your server info and try again. Maybe a inadvertent typo?

Javy
New Contributor

No luck

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Taking a very careful look at your picture I think I see the problem ...you blotted out your URL but not so that I couldn't see that the last character is a letter not a number. Unless you have a highly advanced confit or a JAMF hosted config, your URL will likely take the following form:

https://<yourjssurlhere>:8443

the key is to not forget the :8443 at the end.

Javy
New Contributor

Unfortunately we do have a crazy config. They're all behind load balancers and that should be the correct address.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

That's ugly and I made sure this time to look at your JamfNation profile... you've been through CJA so unless you were just not watching, you wouldn't have made that mistake. A version mismatch wouldn't have blown that error. Would it be a JDS problem maybe ? I'm not as familiar with a JDS. You may be doing file shares anyway.

I'd swear the last character in your server address from the pic was an "n" with a slash. I could be wrong. Maybe leave out the hard slash at the end? Maybe your firewall guys have been working unbeknownst to you? Maybe for sanity try using Casper Admin on a different workstation?

Javy
New Contributor

The address is correct, and the app adds the last / on whether you enter it or now. We're on a File Distribution Share, no JDS. I've tried different workstations. Can't quite grasp this one. Already opened a support case, we'll see what happens.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Javy

I know it sounds ridiculous, but have you tried restarting the computer running the JSS and/or restarting MySQL (if it's on a separate computer/VM from the JSS)?

That's usually our first line of things to try when this particular error comes up and it usually works, just basing it off of past cases I've seen with this particular error.

Thanks!
Were Wulff
Jamf Support

Javy
New Contributor

I've restarted the JSS a bunch of times. The MySQL database is an AWS RDS instance, so restarting isn't so easy. Tomcat did fail to start after the initial upgrade from 9.98 to 9.99 so I'm wondering if something got messed up in the DB.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Javy

It's not likely that something got messed up in the DB due to Tomcat's failure to start, I know we did have some customers have issues with Tomcat failing to start after an update from 9.98 to 9.99.0 due to a listener not being properly commented out in server.xml, but that should not have been able to affect the data in the database at all as MySQL wouldn't have been involved. If that is the issue you ran into, it wouldn't be related to this; if you ran into a different issue with Tomcat, however, there is a possibility that the two might be related.

The next step I'd suggest in this particular case is to see if we can get some time set aside to schedule a MySQL restart and see if that gets it going again.

I did leave a note on the case you have open letting the Support person working on it know that this thread exists.

Thanks!
Were Wulff
Jamf Support

Javy
New Contributor

Alright, I found how to restart the RDS MySQL. Restarted the DB server, then internal JSS, then DMZ. No change.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Javy

Dang, yeah, something else is definitely going on, then; would have been nice if it was the easy fix on a Friday.

I'll get the case note updated to let them know that you've now been able to restart both the JSS and the MySQL instance.

Thanks!
Were Wulff
Jamf Support

mark_morel
New Contributor

I just started experiencing this issue yesterday afternoon. We're on 9.96. The WA works, everything seems to be configured correctly, and I rebooted the DB server this morning. Admin and Remote are the tools that don't seem to work. Additionally, I verified that the distribution point is accessible. I will be placing a support ticket with jamf today.

Javy
New Contributor

This turned out to be a bigger issue for me. My DB ended up partially corrupted because of the update crashing due to lack of disk space. I ended up restoring the DB after clearing up space, which seems to have fixed the bulk of the problems.

mark_morel
New Contributor

After rebooting the WA, which was working but wonky, my instance seems to be working again. We were putting off the 9.99 upgrade until I finished the new workflows for our summer lab refresh. Not that I expect to see similar problems with the upgrade, but I'm glad to not have to deal with that while updating workflows.

ftiff
Contributor

I have the same issue on 10.6.0-t1531276159 and Jamf Admin (same version)
Note that I can connect to web interface using Safari, query the API using curl and mount the share.

From /logging.html:

2018-08-06 15:29:11,287 [ERROR] [Thread-4 ] [CasperXML ] - Error authenticating com.jamfsoftware.jss.exceptions.authentication.InvalidLoginParameters: Username and password can not be null at com.jamfsoftware.jss.objects.user.AccountHelper.authenticate(AccountHelper.java:497) at com.jamfsoftware.jss.client.communication.legacy.remote.CasperXML.process(CasperXML.java:146) at com.jamfsoftware.jss.client.communication.legacy.remote.RemoteControllerXML.processRequest(RemoteControllerXML.java:69) at com.jamfsoftware.jss.client.communication.legacy.remote.RemoteControllerXML.doGet(RemoteControllerXML.java:28) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:635) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:742) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166) at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.JSSAccessFilter.doFilter(JSSAccessFilter.java:66) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166) at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166) at com.jamfsoftware.jss.frontend.JSSLoadingFilter.doFilter(JSSLoadingFilter.java:230) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:198) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96) at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:496) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:140) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:81) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87) at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:342) at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:803) at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66) at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:790) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(Nio2Endpoint.java:1703) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.processSocket(AbstractEndpoint.java:1050) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper$4.completed(Nio2Endpoint.java:630) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper$4.completed(Nio2Endpoint.java:608) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SecureNio2Channel$1.completed(SecureNio2Channel.java:917) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SecureNio2Channel$1.completed(SecureNio2Channel.java:846) at sun.nio.ch.Invoker.invokeUnchecked(Invoker.java:126) at sun.nio.ch.UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.finishRead(UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.java:430) at sun.nio.ch.UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.finish(UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.java:191) at sun.nio.ch.UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.onEvent(UnixAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl.java:213) at sun.nio.ch.EPollPort$EventHandlerTask.run(EPollPort.java:293) at sun.nio.ch.AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl$1.run(AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl.java:112) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

From /Users/fti/Library/Logs/JAMF/CasperAdminDebug.log:
(after touch /Applications/Jamf Pro/Jamf Admin.app/Contents/Support/debug)

8/6/18 11:31:26 AM - -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Form: &username=admin&password=**&casperAdminVersion=10.6.0&skipComputers=true 8/6/18 11:31:26 AM - Contacting the Jamf Pro Server (https://xxx.local:8443//casper.jxml) 8/6/18 11:31:26 AM - Connection result: 200 8/6/18 11:31:26 AM - Connection Problem - The server located at https://xxx.local:8443/did not respond with any information.

Testing with curl:

08:~ fti$ curl -u admin https://xxx.local:8443/casper.jxml Enter host password for user 'admin': <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><jamfServlet server="10.6.0-t1531276159" version="10.6.0-t1531276159"> <epoch>1533569776</epoch> <response>Bad username or password</response> </jamfServlet> 08:~ fti$

ftiff
Contributor

So I tried to:
- rm ROOT so that tomcat will re-extract it
- mysql truncate users; to get back to setup assistant

What worked is to drop database jamf; and recreate new one from scratch.
Sorry I didn't troubleshoot further.