Netboot and 2017 MacBook Pros

mapurcel
Contributor III

I built a Netboot image using AutoCasperNBI and 10.12.5 and it doesn't seem to netboot the new 2017 MacBooks, anyone else seeing this or figure out a good workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

There is a way!

Check here.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

sharriston
Contributor III

Did you try AutoDMG to build your NBI? A netboot image created from any other machine will cause an error on machines with specific builds of the OS.

Templarion
New Contributor II

You will be unable to use NetBoot with any model released on 5 Jun (Apple Store Sierra version is 16F73; OS build on new Macs is 16F2073)

I had to use System Image Utility (/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/System Image Utility.app) to make an image of the new computer, and that image then worked with AutoCasperNBI. (That image should also work with AutoDMG; the big issue is that AutoDMG can only create a .dmg from an OS installer, and one cannot download/access an installer for 16F2073)

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

There is a way!

Check here.

mapurcel
Contributor III

thanks everyone

Summary: Download the Sierra 10.12.5 update for 2017 iMac (doesn't matter which 2017 hardware you are trying to netboot), add that package to the AutoDMG build using the same Sierra installer you can download from the App Store, then feed that DMG image into AutoCasperNBI and you have Netboot!

https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/macos

zinkotheclown
Contributor II

This is the update: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1921?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I can verify I was able to netboot a June 13" MacBook Pro after applying this iMac patch to the Sierra installer.

Not applicable

tried mapurcel approach and it works for laying down the OS however the recovery hd is incompatible. Has anyone know how to update or capture to lay it down the recovery hd that will work with the 2017 Mac hardware?

mapurcel
Contributor III

@matin.logmein I'm also seeing an incompatible recovery partition when laying down the image on 2017 hardware (when you attempt to boot to the recovery partition you get the prohibit sign). The recovery partition is listed when you run a diskutil list in Terminal. Any new information on this?

Not applicable

Unfortunately not. I have switched gears and starting to setup an imaging process that does not laydown an os and a recovery hd (aka poor man's DEP). Seems like the only solution til apple releases 10.12.16. However, I did build my NBI with your method so it was not a total fail.