iOS 11 Device Based App Installation

Emmert
Valued Contributor

Now that this is in public beta and we can talk about it, I reset a test iPad this morning and started getting the pop-up box that says I need to sign into iTunes to allow my jss to manage and install apps.

This wasn't previously necessary for automatically installing apps because they're set to device based scoping.

Can anyone else confirm this?

16 REPLIES 16

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

I havent seen this yet... what JSS are you running and did you upgrade an ipad or was this a fresh install of iOS 11?

Emmert
Valued Contributor

JSS 9.98, this is a reset iPad that was running developer beta 2.

kyle_bareis
New Contributor III

@Emmert - not sure if these release notes are public or not but there are some known issues with iOS 11 and MDM:

• MDM communication may not work correctly after restoring from a backup. To avoid this, make sure to back up your device after a new MDM enrollment. (32206090)
• For MDM devices, entering an incorrect Apple ID password the first time during an app installation causes subsequent attempts to fail. Use the MDM install command again to complete installation. (31870510)
• MDM/VPP apps may become stuck in waiting. (32267165)
• Unenrolled Managed Devices may re install MDM apps upon restore. (32387929)

ericjboyd
Contributor

I'm still seeing this with EDU-VPP and B2B-VPP apps on the 2nd public beta.

mheflin
New Contributor II

I'm seeing this with iOS 11 Beta 4 using Jamf 9.97. 7010e91f1e7049af938cb2dcefda998b

mheflin
New Contributor II

I just learned that if you have Jamf 9.97 or below, you'll have trouble trying to push Apps via VPP as it will ask you to log into iTunes. I believe the workaround is to upgrade Jamf to 9.100 or later.

philschl
New Contributor
I just learned that if you have Jamf 9.97 or below, you'll have trouble trying to push Apps via VPP as it will ask you to log into iTunes. I believe the workaround is to upgrade Jamf to 9.100 or later.

I had the same issue under 9.99 Cloud, after Upgrading to 9.100 the Device Based App Installation under iOS 11 Beta 4 works well.

ryan_bender
New Contributor III

I just started seeing that today with an iPad that has iOS 11 on it. We're running 9.99.

dlindsay
New Contributor

Yes, we're seeing it as well. Running 9.99. I then tried an iPad with the exact same configuration except did not update to iOS11 and had no issues at all.

dlindsay
New Contributor

Updated to 9.101 and issue with iOS 11 devices has been resolved

Emmert
Valued Contributor

Updated to 9.101 this afternoon, back to normal.

FutureFacinLuke
Contributor II

Same problem on 9.99, looks like we need to update.

rduncan
New Contributor

We have this same issue on all Student devices even after updating to 9.101.0 on IOS 10 and 11 iPads. Does anyone know of a resolution?

shoch
New Contributor III

I'm having this issue as well. I'm on Jamf Pro version 10.3 and this doesn't seem to happen on iOS devices with 10.3 but does on iOS devices with iOS 12. Any ideas? Just going to have to wait for a Jamf update?

RLR
Valued Contributor

We had this issue on IOS 12 until we updated to Jamf 10.7.

shoch
New Contributor III

That's what I'm wondering too. I'm on Jamf 10.3 and didn't even realize that there's an update. Now I'm going to have to figure out how to update my Jamf to 10.7. I'm still in the learning process of all of this.

Thanks for the assistance. :)