.pkg greyed out in Disk Utility - Image from folder

jpadilla
New Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to create a .dmg from a .pkg, but when I use Disk Utility - Image from Folder I can't select any .pkg. They are all greyed out.

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks, James57657a0b0edf4f57839287c275e47707

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

[Edit] Misunderstood, you're creating, not saving the DMG. I ran a quick test, am able to replicate the issue. Created a blank file, and created an empty folder, both with *.PKG suffix. Disk Utility ignores both. TBH whenever I create a DMG from a PKG, I always create an enclosing folder first.

$ touch ~/Desktop/TRASHME/testFile,pkg
$ mkdir ~/Desktop/TRASHME/testFolder.pkg
$ ls -lF ~/Desktop/TRASHME/
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 donmontalvo  staff   0 Jul 22 21:59 testFile,pkg
drwxr-xr-x  2 donmontalvo  staff  68 Jul 22 21:59 testFolder.pkg/
$

Disk Utility ignores both:

6ab1ae1bffa04b3fa071b7c8e0669d67

--
https://donmontalvo.com

View solution in original post

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jpadilla Are you trying to create a .dmg of a .pkg so you can deploy it with Jamf Pro? Can you not just deploy the .pkg file itself? If you really need the .pkg encapsulated in a .dmg, put the .pkg into a folder, the select that folder as the folder to create the .dmg from rather than the .pkg file itself. Or use the Composer app (one of the tools in the Casper Suite folder) to create the .dmg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

[Edit] Misunderstood, you're creating, not saving the DMG. I ran a quick test, am able to replicate the issue. Created a blank file, and created an empty folder, both with *.PKG suffix. Disk Utility ignores both. TBH whenever I create a DMG from a PKG, I always create an enclosing folder first.

$ touch ~/Desktop/TRASHME/testFile,pkg
$ mkdir ~/Desktop/TRASHME/testFolder.pkg
$ ls -lF ~/Desktop/TRASHME/
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 donmontalvo  staff   0 Jul 22 21:59 testFile,pkg
drwxr-xr-x  2 donmontalvo  staff  68 Jul 22 21:59 testFolder.pkg/
$

Disk Utility ignores both:

6ab1ae1bffa04b3fa071b7c8e0669d67

--
https://donmontalvo.com

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jpadilla Are you trying to create a .dmg of a .pkg so you can deploy it with Jamf Pro? Can you not just deploy the .pkg file itself? If you really need the .pkg encapsulated in a .dmg, put the .pkg into a folder, the select that folder as the folder to create the .dmg from rather than the .pkg file itself. Or use the Composer app (one of the tools in the Casper Suite folder) to create the .dmg

jpadilla
New Contributor

@donmontalvo @sdagley Thank You! Enclosing in folder worked for me.