Possible Apple Mail issues after Security Update 2017-003

ushak
New Contributor

We have computers running Yosemite and El Capitan and I am having multiple instances of users complaining that their exchange email (Office 365) stopped downloading in Apple Mail and Apple Calendar stopped working.
It's a bit early in my investigation of this issue and we don't have many people on campus (summer) to confirm the issue is very widespread, however, the one matching factor is that we pushed Security Update 2017-003 last week.
I tested them logging into Apple Mail in another user account, the issue persisted (no emails will download, no error) and although would mention that thousands of emails are downloading in activity window, it won't actually finish the process.
Users of Sierra 10.12.6 do not seem to be affected.

As I continue to investigate I'll update here. Anyone else running into a similar issue?

7 REPLIES 7

cd4mw
New Contributor

Yes! We currently have 3 users with the same issue. We also have another with the same issue on Outlook. We did just migrate our users to O365 2 weeks ago. Pretty interesting.

daz_wallace
Contributor III

Hi @ushak This was discussed a little internally on our own (Amsys) Slack and the Mac Admins Slack (Sign up](MacAdmins.org), [Link to discussion start). The 'fix' seemed to be upgrade to 10.12.6 from 10.11.x

If I get more information I'll try and post it!

Hope that helps!

Darren

ushak
New Contributor

Thanks @daz_wallace
I was afraid that was going to be the solution (was able to test by tossing 10.12.6 on top of an El Capitan machine), I really hope this can be fixed without having to accelerate upgrading all Macs on campus 😱

Apple Mail isn't the biggest issue either, it's iCal not functioning anymore. I'm getting emails about personal computers now so this is going to be a fun ride!

alan_trewartha
New Contributor III

Hi there - we're getting this issue on Mavericks and El Capitan where we've not (to my knowledge) run that security update

https://discussions.apple.com/message/32054203?start=0&tstart=0

getting these errors in the syslog continually while Mail is running, and a couple of times when Calendar first seizes up

Type not found in EWSMeetingRequestMessageType for DoNotForwardMeeting
Type not found in EWSMeetingCancellationMessageType for DoNotForwardMeeting

edgardeveij
New Contributor II

I don't think 2017-03 security update has any influence or has triggered this. One of the Macs I'm testing on hasn't got the update and the other one has. Both didn't have the O365 mailbox beforehand and both show the same issue when I install the O365 account. I haven't tried a second (previous unaffected) account yet in fear of making things worse (ie. get another non working O365 mailbox).

Pederzolli
New Contributor

Facing the same issue today
3 over 4 accounts (through MS 365) cannot receive any mail on Mac neither MacBook
No problem with same accounts over iPhone and iPad No problem with same accounts on MS Outlook
Reboot, disconnect from MS365 ... no way

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

This is currently being discussed in the Apple Discussion forums, see here.

Looks like we might get a fix this week, all being well.