writing a first boot script

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

With a new OS, means a new first boot script that needs to be created.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how does one go about that? I know people will post theirs as time gets closer to release date (a HUGE THANK YOU to those that do), but I guess I'm looking for tips and tricks for doing my own (and by that I mean modifying an existing one with updated commands and removing the ones that break things). What's the easiest way to determine what needs to be changed/removed/added?

1 REPLY 1

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I'm sorry to see that this thread hasn't filled with info yet. Summer time is busy right! OK, in short, a FirstBoot script is simply a script that you include in a CasperImaging configuration. OK, I'm sure you can have a FirstBoot script in any deployment that you are distributing an OS, but I digress. Simply write a script (I prefer BASH scripting but that's just me), drag it into Casper Admin, then into a "Configuration". Double click the "Script" and set it's priority to "At reboot" and voila! You have a FirstBoot script. There are caveats and ways to do neat things outside of what I've just described, but this is the easiest way to start.

There's a LOT of great info here
https://derflounder.wordpress.com

including but NOT limited to FirstBoot script recommendations.