Need help w app distribution. What am I doing wrong?

Johnna
New Contributor

Primary education environment; Managed Apple Id's. 1:1 distribution. Loaded Osmo app into JAMF from VPP. Distributed to specific user. But I'm having an issue getting Osmo app to load from self service on to teacher iPad. Will not load, I get an error message with "This Apple ID can not be used for purchases"
I then tried to assign app to the device to no avail....
Please help me!

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Is there a reason why you would not assign the app to the device rather than the user? Managed Apple IDs can accept a VPP invitation, but using device-based is a whole lot simpler.

It sounds like you have scoped the app to the device, and made it available in Self Service, but not checked the VPP account under the VPP tab. This causes the device to prompt the user to sign into the store to obtain license for the software (since no license has been provided via VPP). Since Managed Apple IDs can not use commerce, this will fail with the error you describe.

Johnna
New Contributor

Thank you for your assistance! I did check the VPP acct under the VPP tab. Then on the iPad the "install" buttons" in self service just spin

5f217f2ad9c746d587d4c16d16e157c7

fb97e2cf73764c9199a8b1f40f254b91

Any other advice? I've been struggling with this for a week.

Johnna
New Contributor

I have NO training in the jamf. I've just been thrown into this position. The former IT person left abruptly and left nothing for any guidance behind. I've been watching the Youtube videos for guidance.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Locate the device you are scoping to in the JSS.
There are three Tabs in the record: Inventory, Management and History

In History>Management History

What do you see for messages/feedback regarding the app installation under Pending and Failed?

Does the device has space available to receive the app?

Do you only have the app scoped to a single device?

Do other apps download ok on the same network to other devices?

kerouak
Valued Contributor

This is veruseful, just change the 'version Number to the one relevant to your JSS installation.

Available Here:
https://www.jamf.com/resources/casper-suite-administrators-guide-version-9-96/

Good luck to you, and, I'm sure that you will get all the help you need if stuck, on these forums....

:-)

Johnna
New Contributor

@Sandy Thank you for your response. I'm learning through this troubleshooting process so thank you for your patience with me. I thought about all of those things and this is what I discovered.

3 pending 9 failed ... but why?

8f9b615f66f44ea3a163d88cd6148556

that should be enough space right?

ce54c46e663e4fdfbe2cc59ca5d9ebd6

I do have the app scoped to single device.

f3517cb8541f47b28ea7b615bc2409a5

I pushed 2 apps to another teacher yesterday and he confirmed that they are on his iPad.

Johnna
New Contributor

@kerouak

Thank you for the link and the tidbit about changing the version numbers to my application. I will keep that bookmarked.