2016 Non Touchbar 13" MacBook Pro not powering on

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hi Folks,

Just curious, does anyone else have issues with some of the new 2016 Non Touchbar 13" MacBook Pros not powering on? We had 1 out of the box show this, Apple replaced the logic board. Yesterday, we had 4 previously imaged and ready to go MacBooks do the same thing.

These recent 4 units were imaged, plugged into power in their cart, the cart plugged into the wall and when we attempted to pull them out to do more work, we couldn't get them to power on.

Our service center pulled on apart, swapped out the battery still nothing. All 4 units have been sent to Apple for repairs. Our Apple rep has received our 4 repair numbers to track this.

Normally I wouldn't panic a whole lot, but we bought only 100 of these and 5 have shown this same problem. That is a 5% failure rate which in my 30 plus years is unheard of for Apple. The problem is amplified by the fact when this is occurring, we don't have any LED indicators on the laptop or chargers to show what MIGHT be happening. Is the unit dead? Is it not receiving a charge?

Anyone else seeing this? Just curious.

5 REPLIES 5

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Have you tried to reset the SMC and the PRAM?

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @DylanMurphy we have tried that. The tech also tried swapping batteries with a known good battery and doing the manual reset on the logic board itself. The unit(s) will not power on at all. After talking with Apple engineering yesterday, he did elude to a possible issue hardware-wise. The way he said it, sounds like there is a flaw when the computer is in sleep mode and cannot be awoken. I suspect a firmware update will be forth coming so maybe that will resolve things...I ordered a couple of extra laptops just in case. If we have a class full of students at the end of August and we cannot turn these on, we better have a backup plan. Thanks for sharing.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Yikes.... Well thats good to know as we may be considering getting some for our school. I hope all works out for you!

ifbell
Contributor

Question you said no led indicators, I take it that on the magnetic plug you have no amber or green light? It is curious if it is the case that you have no lights on the charger. In the past when I have had truly dead batteries, or even a failed internal circuitry I had an indicator on the charger usually amber. Did the lights on the charger come on when hooked to another Mac? Also is the magnetic connector warm to the touch or cold?

garybarlow
New Contributor II

@ifbell The 2016 MacBook Pro charges via the USB-C port rather than a magsafe adapter, so there is no status LED to help you.