macOS Caching Server

bbot
Contributor

I'd like to implement a caching server in our corporate office. We currently have our jamf hosted in a datacenter off site.

Is it okay to use 1 server to cache macOS updates from Apple and use it as a primary distribution point?

Is there documentation somewhere on how to create another distribution point and sync it to my current distribution point?

3 REPLIES 3

bbot
Contributor

I found this -- http://docs.jamf.com/9.98/casper-suite/jss-install-guide-windows/Jamf_Distribution_Server_Instances.html
Sounds like what I need to do for the distribution point

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@bbot You can only have one cloud distribution point, but you can theoretically have an unlimited number of JDS or File Share Distribution Points.

As for whether you can use 1 server for both Apple's macOS Server to run the Caching Service for macOS updates and to act as a local Distribution Point for your JSS, it really depends on how many machines you're talking about. In my current setup with about 1300 Macs I have a high end Lenovo server hosting an SMB share with a 10Gb network connection that's my master DP, and a Mac mini that's my failover DP and a macOS Caching Service machine (I have 3 of those).

mahughe
Contributor

caching can run independent of the your JSS structure. We have about 30 mini's that just run caching services only and work like a champ.