com.apple.MCXAirport

el2493
Contributor III

The JSS I inherited has both Managed Preferences and Configuration Profiles that disable the use of Wi-Fi by creating the above PLIST and adding the value {DisableAirPort=true}.

I've been trying to find ways to undo this for a computer that needs access to Wi-Fi, but am not having any success. I'm mainly concerned with the Managed Preference. I first tried just adding the specific computer to the Exclusions for the Managed Preference, and confirmed when I looked at the Computer object that it didn't have any Managed Preferences involved. But I still couldn't enable Wi-Fi.

I next tried creating an inverted Managed Preference (that would set {DisableAirPort=false}) and confirmed that it was listed on the Computer object page, but still couldn't re-enable Wi-Fi on the computer. I tried a few other things but ultimately couldn't find a fix.

My last guess would be to try to manually delete the com.apple.MCXAirport file, but I wasn't able to find it on the computer (in LaunchAgents or LaunchDaemons or Preferences or a few other folders I checked). Does anyone know where this file (or Managed Preferences in general) would be stored on the computer?

5 REPLIES 5

el2493
Contributor III

(Also checked the Managed Preferences folder, didn't see anything with the name com.apple.MCXAirport)

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

When you remove the Configuration Profile, go to the machine and in the Network settings, activate the wireless manually.

That seems to work for us.

el2493
Contributor III

I'm mostly concerned with the Managed Preference, if I add the computer as an Exclusion it still doesn't let me enable Wi-Fi.

emmayche
New Contributor III

If the plist is created automatically by your JSS, and then you put that already-disabled computer into an exclusion group, it's not going to get rid of that plist unless you take action to do so. It might be a good idea to create a computer group which is referenced both by the profile that creates the plist (for exclusion purposes) and by a policy that ensures that the plist is either removed or properly edited so that wi-fi is available. Note also that the computer will likely have to be restarted before the modified plist takes effect.

el2493
Contributor III

Thanks, I wanted to create a policy to remove the PLIST but couldn't find where the file was located.