Dock Icons in High Sierra

steve_summers
Contributor III

Wondering if anyone has seen this before.
Customer is one of our High Sierra beta testers, downloaded over the weekend the "Developer GM" version of 10.13, reports today that his dock icons are being replaced with a generic icon. He watched them change.4248e957bfef4a9da07279a36140bf84 Anyone seen this behavior before? He has a 2015 MBP 15", Jamf Pro MDM agent is running. I can offer zero explanation. Thanks ahead of time...

6 REPLIES 6

dcgagne
Contributor

I have been doing in place upgrades as well as post instal enrollments that add/change dock items and I haven't seen that yet in my testing. Does restarting or killing the dock have any effect on the icons? I see the one highlighted is Remote Desktop, are the others from the App Store?

bryantdresher
New Contributor III

This looks like a Dock icon caching issue. Have your customer try rebooting in "Safe Boot" on the Mac by restarting while holding down the Shift key. This forces among other things, several caches to be cleared in the Safe Boot process. After Safe Boot completes, click the restart button on the login window and don't hold any keys down so the boot will be a normal one.

You can read more about it here.
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

CCrew
New Contributor

Been there, done that.

Reset the dock. Open Finder, select Go from the menu bar then Go to Folder.
Go to: ~/Library/Preferences

Move com.apple.dock.plist to the trash then restart the Dock using Terminal ( killall Dock )

It'll set the dock back to default, so any icons added will have to be re-added. Icon cache will be rebuilt as a result.

eowade
New Contributor

Try this: Open a Terminal Window:

sudo su - touch /Applications/App.app touch /Applications/App.app/Contents/Info.plist killall Dock

This will clear your icon cache, and restart the dock.

systems_support
New Contributor

I'm seeing this too for an app that installs a dock icon, likely before the app itself is installed. I reset the dock as suggested by CCrew, dragged the app back onto the dock and the issue is fixed.

rthomso
New Contributor

This just started for me yesterday with two icons changing. I just removed the apps from the dock and reloaded. Voila.