How to identify apps pulled from the App Store still in the JSS?

russeller
Contributor III

In the JAMFSoftwareServer.log I get a lot of these errors:

[ERROR] [neralPool-4] [VppCommService           ] - Error managing licenses. ErrorNumber: 9628 , ErrorMessage:License not eligible for device assignment.

I saw from this post that is it likely due to older apps that are no longer in the App Store or are no longer eligible for device-assignments.

I'm curious if anyone has found a way of quickly or systemically being able to identify these apps that have been pulled from the app store or not device-assignable? I'm going to try and turning the log into verbose mode and see if it provides more details to the error.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bumbletech
Contributor III

@ssrussell, I had been meaning to do the same thing. Here's a bash script that will get the bundleIDs of the apps from your JSS via the api, check that the iTunes API for a match, and if there isn't it will write it to a CSV on your desktop with the URL of the app on your JSS.

https://github.com/bumbletech/JSS_API_scripts/blob/master/JSS_API_check_stale_apps.sh

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Michael_Meyers
Contributor

If you can find the App ID number, you can use the App Annie website to identify the App.
App Annie Website: https://www.appannie.com/en/apps/ios/app/xxxxxxxxx/
Steps to identify App:
1. Navigate to App Annie URL.
2.  Replace 'xxxxxxxxx' with the AdamID from list.
3.  Make note of the name of the app.
4.  Uncheck 'Assign VPP Content' on the App's VPP tab.
5.  This should quit the errors displaying in the JSS

This is what I got from my Jamf Buddy. As far as getting the ID numbers, I think if you ssh into your Master JSS and get into your JAMFSoftwareServer.log, you can find them there. If I recall correctly, we ran the command "cat JAMFSoftwareServer.log | grep "error looking up app"" (remove beginning and ending ") to get a list of AdamID's.

Hope that helps!

bumbletech
Contributor III

@ssrussell, I had been meaning to do the same thing. Here's a bash script that will get the bundleIDs of the apps from your JSS via the api, check that the iTunes API for a match, and if there isn't it will write it to a CSV on your desktop with the URL of the app on your JSS.

https://github.com/bumbletech/JSS_API_scripts/blob/master/JSS_API_check_stale_apps.sh

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Thanks @jbourdon - that is a helpful script. I did have to change the csv output path line.

#Write a CSV to the desktop with the stale apps
write_app_csv > ~/Desktop/jss_stale_apps.csv

russeller
Contributor III

Yes, thanks @jbourdon that was wonderful. Like @cbrewer said I had to add a path for the Desktop piece, but not a big deal. We had 60 obsolete apps in our JSS!

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

@jbourdon

Feature request: Could you include the App URL in the CSV file?

bumbletech
Contributor III

@cbrewer I've updated it on GitHub. It'll grab whatever URL the JSS has.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Shouldn't apps found on the spreadsheet be unable to be pushed via JSS? I scoped a few on my spreadsheet to my iPad and they installed. Is there some JSS caching thing?

nathanzamprogno
New Contributor

I edited the document with my JSS login credentials and ran the script.
It completed in only a second and created a CSV file with only one line:

jss_id bundleid jss_url itunes_lastknown_url

Obviously it's not executing correctly, but how to diagnose?

The only (potential) issue I can speculate at is that I'm in Australia and do not use the U.S iTunes store. Should it matter?