Software Metering

ism
New Contributor II

Hi,

Is there any way to use software metering using jamf. Our use case is that we need to know how many of our users are effectively using MS Office on their Mac. Please suggest.

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Have you enabled Application Usage collection under the Computer Inventory Collection settings? It's not the most robust feature, and there aren't any good ways of exporting the data from it currently, but it should be able to help you determine usage of the application on your Macs. I also advise setting up a Licensed Software entry for Office. Later, you'll be able to use that to see systems with unused licenses, or just view the overall usage and versions across your fleet.

ism
New Contributor II

thanks @mm2270 my use case is that I have done Licensed software for MS office but I want to know out of that list how many are using effectively.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@ism As I mentioned, you will need to turn on Application Usage collection. It's been a while, but I don't think it's enabled by default, so if you've never gone in and turned it on, it's probably not on. Once it's enabled (and you give it some time for machines to report in and do collection), you'll be able to see usage on that licensed software title. You can click View Logs, and break it down by application. per machine, buildings, unused licenses, and machines that have no usage logs, for example.
This should help you get a decent picture of which machines aren't using the software at all. The thing to keep in mind is that you should give it some time before making any determinations, since it requires machines to collect the data and then submit inventory. Consider giving it a week before going back and looking at the logs.

KSibley
New Contributor III

@ism I have a similar need to upgrade Office 2011 and would like to perform Software Metering. Were you able top turn on Application Usage and did it provide the needed information?

cyberspread_71
New Contributor III

How do I get the results once I turn this feature on?

cyberspread_71
New Contributor III

Nevermind. I just have to learn to read the whole post.

mschroder
Valued Contributor

@ktermin : in case you don't want to collect the usage of all apps on all computers, but be a bit more selective on what you to collect you might want to vote and/or leave a comment here: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/2787/ability-to-scope-application-usage-tracking