10.13 installation file system

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I just installed 10.13 on a 2012 macbook pro, within finder, the info for the Macintosh HD shows

format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

when i go to system report --> storage, the file system says Journaled HFS+

is this correct, i thought it was supposed to be AFPS ???????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tdclark
Contributor

What type of hard drive does the machine have? It will only auto update to APFS if it is a SSD.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

tdclark
Contributor

What type of hard drive does the machine have? It will only auto update to APFS if it is a SSD.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

it's not SSD it's SATA 500GB

vcalvo
New Contributor

APFS is not available for non-ssd drives.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

so if I use AutoDMG using this Macbook Pro 2012 SATA to create my 10.13 OS image to use in Casper Admin , and then create a configuration, will it have problems if I then run this configuration on a mac that has an SSD ?

should be fine on any mac whether it has SATA or SSD ?

I would believe there shouldnt be any issues/problems, but just want to get feedback, that it will use the correct file system based on the hard drive type ?

tdclark
Contributor

@tcandela I would only point you to this from Apple about that type of workflow...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208020

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I use AutoDMG to create my image, then I use pkgs in the configuration to install software (install on boot drive after imaging) and/or have software installed via policies afterwards.

usually clean installs using this configuration, I wipe the computer then run the configuration. So i'm not ugrading from 10.12 to 10.13

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

From what I understand, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, an AutoDMG-based image isn't ideal for 10.13 since it won't have the required firmware for other hardware, and there's no easy way to deploy that firmware during imaging, or after imaging.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@cwaldrip how are you creating your 10.13 image? have you yet created one and deployed it through a configuration?

I just tried my configuration but it fails , at the point when the configuration hits 'SET NAME TO *" i get a popup that says

an exception of class unsupportedformatexception was not handled. the application must shut down.
exception message. the path passed into new folderitem was invalid

i click OK and casper image closes out

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

I've only done testing at the moment. We can't use NetBoot or any similar method (DEP for example) as most of our users are far from our distribution server (Lagos Nigeria, Delhi India, Johannesburg SA, etc), so those methods would be painfully slow.

For our 10.12 and older images we typically boot to a secondary partition and run Casper Imaging. For those remote locations we ship a boot drive with a copy of our repository and image locally from the drive. It still needs a network connection to the JSS to know WHAT to install, but it gets the packages from the boot drive.

It looks like the only fool-proof method to image 10.13 is to wipe the drive and use DEP to reimage the machine or have the users log in to a freshly imaged machine and install all their apps from Self Service.

From what I can tell so far we'll have to ask our remote users to ship their laptops to one of our larger bureaus if their machine needs to be reimaged (replaced hard drive, security wipe required because no one trusts the Russians, North Koreans, Iranians, or Chinese), new machine bought locally, etc.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

currently first I have the computer wiped and with 10.11 & 10.12 i have the base install created by AutoDMG and then it gets installed via Casper Imaging along with application such as Office 2016, Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, while other applications are available through Self Service.

I wash 10.13 could be done this way also, but looks like i'll have to wipe, fresh install of 10.13 and then run the quickaddpackage to enroll, then use Self Service for applications

@cwaldrip