Self Service Update to macOS Sierra failing

walts_9
New Contributor III

So I'm playing a bit of catch up, we have about half of our users on Sierra so far. I've been testing with the following script to have users update via self service: https://github.com/kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade/blob/master/macOSUpgrade.sh .

The first run through I did for testing worked great. I ran the script from self service on a macPro and the update worked as expected. For the sake of prepping for the worst, I ran another test with a mac mini (with a fusion drive, not sure that it matters though) and after rebooting the mini started to run through the update. Part of the way through the following error popped up "macOS could not be installed on your computer. Volume contains macOS or OS X installer media." I took a look through a few threads that indicated the /AppleDiagnostics, /BaseSystem , and /Packages needed removed. That did not do the trick.

Rebooting to the start up disk did not work either. Fortunately I had a 10.11 recovery boot disk laying around and was able to reinstall the os after booting to that disk.

After that I ran the update from self service again on the same computer and it update to 10.12.16 just fine. Any ideas what could have caused this? I did notice that there was a macOS Sierra InstallerESD and macOS Sierra Installer volume mapped at the same time when the error appeared the first time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

walts_9
New Contributor III

Nevermind. Started to use this script paired with a staged macOS sierra installer.

!/bin/sh

Notify the user that macOS Sierra is going to be installed.

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -icon /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/Resources/Message.png -heading "Your Mac is set to install macOS Sierra." -description "Please save and close any unsaved work to avoid data loss." -button1 "Okay"

Start the OS Install.

sudo /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --applicationpath /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app --agreetolicense --nointeraction >> /Users/Shared/inplacelog.txt
/bin/echo "Installed macOS Sierra!!!!!!"
exit 0

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

walts_9
New Contributor III

Nevermind. Started to use this script paired with a staged macOS sierra installer.

!/bin/sh

Notify the user that macOS Sierra is going to be installed.

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -icon /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/Resources/Message.png -heading "Your Mac is set to install macOS Sierra." -description "Please save and close any unsaved work to avoid data loss." -button1 "Okay"

Start the OS Install.

sudo /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --applicationpath /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app --agreetolicense --nointeraction >> /Users/Shared/inplacelog.txt
/bin/echo "Installed macOS Sierra!!!!!!"
exit 0