High Sierra can't add application to Dock

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

is anyone having issues dragging an application to the DOCK using High Sierra ??

I can't get an application added to the DOCK. Not sure if i'm doing anything wrong

I have installed an application via policy with the dock item, and it didn't get placed. I added the dock item to Casper Admin manually file:///Applications/IBM/SPSS/applicationname.app/

afterwards i manually drag the application to the dock and it won't allow it.

I even try to drag the mac Chess into the dock and it won't allow it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

patgmac
Contributor III

Are you managing the dock with a profile that might be preventing editing? Or did something else to the dock that prevents editing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist? Try deleting that pref and try again, use:

defaults delete com.apple.dock

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

patgmac
Contributor III

Are you managing the dock with a profile that might be preventing editing? Or did something else to the dock that prevents editing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist? Try deleting that pref and try again, use:

defaults delete com.apple.dock

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

let me check to see if any dock profile is being applied to these test macs.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@patgmac hey man, thanks, that was it! I had a config profile applied to my test macs that modified the dock, so after removing the test macs from it's scope, i was able to remove/add to the dock. I forgot all about this config profile, don't even need it.

it used a profile created from that DOCKMASTER web application.

rhooper
Contributor III

So we are trying to establish a dock icon to launch Self Service portal. I am using the following dock path file:///Applications/Self Service.app/.

It pushes the policy, but a "?" shows up on the dock and it launches absolutely nothing. I am wondering if there is something I am missing here. Please help with the correction of this, I am sure it is some link I have that is not working.