Difference between sudo Jamf policy and automatic check-in

samuellarsson
New Contributor III

Hi Nation!

I've been at it trying to run an AppleScript via policy in Jamf. The script is supposed to mount an smb share with the standard username/password prompt that you get with CMD+K. Below is a snippet of the script, with a debug dialog just to see that the conditionals work fine:

tell application "Finder"
  if not (disk loggedinuser exists) then
    tell application "Finder"
      mount volume "smb://<ip-address>" as user name loggedinuser
      display dialog "Disk mounted!"
    end tell
  end if
end tell

The problem here is that it works if I execute the check-in with sudo jamf policy, but if I trigger it via login or network state change, the script runs fine and displays the dialog but it doesn't actually run anything.

Now, from what I've read it sounds like user-initiated trigger and event-initiated trigger run as different users. Could someone explain to me why it doesn't work with event-triggered script and also if someone has a solution for this?

Thanks,
Sam

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

I think the script runs as root regardless of the trigger. It sounds like a timing issue to me, like the script is executing before the Mac has finished establishing it's network connection. I'd try adding something to the script to verify network connectivity before trying to mount the drive.

For reference you could look at the CheckForNetwork() function in Rich Trouton's Casper Check script

CheckForNetwork(){

# Determine if the network is up by looking for any non-loopback network interfaces.

local test

if [[ -z "${NETWORKUP:=}" ]]; then
        test=$(ifconfig -a inet 2>/dev/null | sed -n -e '/127.0.0.1/d' -e '/0.0.0.0/d' -e '/inet/p' | wc -l)
        if [[ "${test}" -gt 0 ]]; then
            NETWORKUP="-YES-"
        else
            NETWORKUP="-NO-"
        fi
    fi
}

# Wait up to 60 minutes for a network connection to become 
# available which doesn't use a loopback address. This 
# condition which may occur if this script is run by a 
# LaunchDaemon at boot time.
#
# The network connection check will occur every 5 seconds
# until the 60 minute limit is reached.

ScriptLogging "Checking for active network connection."
CheckForNetwork
i=1
while [[ "${NETWORKUP}" != "-YES-" ]] && [[ $i -ne 720 ]]
do
    sleep 5
    NETWORKUP=
    CheckForNetwork
    echo $i
    i=$(( $i + 1 ))
done

You wouldn't want to run the login script for 60 minutes...maybe 5-20 seconds...but this is just for inspiration.

View solution in original post

Look
Valued Contributor III

You can't tell the Finder to mount a network share until a user has completed login and Finder is running as them.
If your calling it as a login script you need to either wait something like 30 seconds or detect when the Finder is available, obviously when your running from terminal all these conditions are alreay met.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

I think the script runs as root regardless of the trigger. It sounds like a timing issue to me, like the script is executing before the Mac has finished establishing it's network connection. I'd try adding something to the script to verify network connectivity before trying to mount the drive.

For reference you could look at the CheckForNetwork() function in Rich Trouton's Casper Check script

CheckForNetwork(){

# Determine if the network is up by looking for any non-loopback network interfaces.

local test

if [[ -z "${NETWORKUP:=}" ]]; then
        test=$(ifconfig -a inet 2>/dev/null | sed -n -e '/127.0.0.1/d' -e '/0.0.0.0/d' -e '/inet/p' | wc -l)
        if [[ "${test}" -gt 0 ]]; then
            NETWORKUP="-YES-"
        else
            NETWORKUP="-NO-"
        fi
    fi
}

# Wait up to 60 minutes for a network connection to become 
# available which doesn't use a loopback address. This 
# condition which may occur if this script is run by a 
# LaunchDaemon at boot time.
#
# The network connection check will occur every 5 seconds
# until the 60 minute limit is reached.

ScriptLogging "Checking for active network connection."
CheckForNetwork
i=1
while [[ "${NETWORKUP}" != "-YES-" ]] && [[ $i -ne 720 ]]
do
    sleep 5
    NETWORKUP=
    CheckForNetwork
    echo $i
    i=$(( $i + 1 ))
done

You wouldn't want to run the login script for 60 minutes...maybe 5-20 seconds...but this is just for inspiration.

Look
Valued Contributor III

You can't tell the Finder to mount a network share until a user has completed login and Finder is running as them.
If your calling it as a login script you need to either wait something like 30 seconds or detect when the Finder is available, obviously when your running from terminal all these conditions are alreay met.