JP10 - Patch - Skype for Business not quitting

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I setup and ran a patch policy to automatically update Skype 4 Business on a couple machines. The definition is listed as needing to quit 'skypeforbusiness' however it ran w/o quitting the app. I looked under Activity Monitor and see the process name is 'Skype for Business'...

The policy reported the test machines installed the app, but the app never quit and there was no notification that it needed to. I checked the version by going to Skype For Business > About and it was listing the old one. Once I quit and reopened s4b it showed the correct version.

Is that normal or not?

2 REPLIES 2

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@jwojda I've have also seen this with other Office 2016 updates

The_Lapin
New Contributor III
The policy reported the test machines installed the app, but the app never quit and there was no notification that it needed to. I checked the version by going to Skype For Business > About and it was listing the old one. Once I quit and reopened s4b it showed the correct version.

Pretty sure this is how the MS AutoUpdate framework works. Depending on how you configure it MAU pulls down the update, installs it in the background, then (if the app is open) notifies the end user that they need to restart the app in order to finish the update. I'm guessing that patch management in Jamf Pro 10 does all of that except for the notification part.