Blocking High Sierra downloads from Apple Notification

roiegat
Contributor III

So I have a restricted software to stop users from actually installing High Sierra. But when they are at home and on their own networks, they get the notification that High Sierra is out and if they want to download it. Some of our users have been downloading it, and trying to install it. Thankfully we've blocked the installer.

Is there a way to stop the notifications from Apple telling them about High Sierra. I vaguely remember there was something to stop Sierra ones when they came out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

From slack:
in macOS 10.12.6, can you stop the “upgrade to high sierra” notifications with this sudo softwareupdate --ignore macOS High

have not tested

L

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

From slack:
in macOS 10.12.6, can you stop the “upgrade to high sierra” notifications with this sudo softwareupdate --ignore macOS High

have not tested

L

chris_hansen
Contributor

And when it's approved

sudo softwareupdate  --reset-ignored

Clears the per-machine list of ignored updates.

gskibum
Contributor III

Is this the expected return?fbd148f121494a879a9b98f8d950fa9a

KSchroeder
Contributor

Pretty sure you have to do it like this:

softwareupdate --ignore "macOS High"

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

@Nix4Life which slack channel was that discussed, I'd like to see the whole thread.

Are we saying that running the --ignore command will prevent the installer from coming down AND suppress the notification center nag to upgrade?

daniel_ross
Contributor III

Did this work for anyone?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Well... I tried: softwareupdate --ignore "macOS High" with no success and now I've added the original, unquoted line sudo softwareupdate --ignore macOS High. I'll get back on here the next time I see, or don't see a pop up!

davidhiggs
Contributor III

I think that command has been cut off, this is currently working for me

softwareupdate --ignore 'macOS High Sierra 10.13'

ammonsc
Contributor II

Does this actually stop the user from downloading it in the App Store though? Shouldn't you also create a Restricted Software Record to keep the installer from running when they do figure out how to download it?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I've got to admit, I've tried the:

softwareupdate --ignore 'macOS High Sierra 10.13'

with no success. I'm wondering if I've got something else keeping this from functioning if it works for others.

@ammonsc You still need to block the process. No matter what you do to the notification, it will still show up in the App Store.

PeterG
Contributor II

I have these running and thy seem to work fine.

softwareupdate --ignore 'Security Update 2018-001-10.12.6'

siftwareupdate --ignore 'macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Update'

ammonsc
Contributor II

@PeterG Just out of my own curiosity. With all the news/fear/response to Spectre and Meltdown why are you blocking the updates? Is it just to finish testing? App compatibility? And instead of blocking the updates would it not be best to use a NetSUS and manage them upfront?

PeterG
Contributor II

@ammonsc

Yeah, we are blocking on most computers until internal testing is complete on a specific target group.
Then i will carefly release th block to a wider group and ultimately release to the entire company.